Need advice from a bearded dragon owner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  17:44:40  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
While babysitting my sisters little angels today, Beth wanted to feed the dragons. She says she does it al the time, and 2 of the boys also said she does. So I said ok and watched (out of intrest) to see them feed. My sister has not had these long and bought them from a friend, so is still learning herself. The way Beth fed them seemed strange to me, but then I know nothing about them.
She put in this pot that has a powder in it, took a tube from the cricket box and taped some out in the pot with the powder in. Only one dragon ate and think it had about 6-7. I said to Beth to leave them now and she removed the pot.
Im looking after the kids again tommrrow, so could one of you kind people please tell me how to feed dragons, how much ect. She has 2 and I think they are about 6 months old? maybe a bit older.
I only want to know as I dont want the kids to do it for fun, knowing I know nothing about them!!!
Also whats the best way to pick up a dragon? Twice one of them tried to make a run for it out the viv when he doors were open, (once when I was spot cleaning it, once while feeding) I just sort of grabbed him and put him back in. Again just so I know incase I have to do it again. I dont want to hurt the litle fella!!

Sorry for the essay!! Thanks in advance for the help!

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  14:35:36  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well dragons don't usually need feeding every day, not really insects anyway. they can have veg every day
the powder would have been nutrient powder, like a supplement to make up for hte lack of minerals in the insects. if only one ate then it might be a good idea to feed them seperatly next time you feed them, as one may feel bullied into back9ing off so the other can eat.

tyhe best way to pick up a beardie, spesh a young un' is to scoop it up in your hand and take a gentle but firm hold of the base of the tail, and hold it into yourself. nervous bearides will whip their tails, which can be rather painful as they have extreamly muscular tails!
In my experiance, if a beardie wants to go back to the viv, let it. Unlike snakes, they are more likly to hold a grudge agaisnt a particualr person, and most beardies will be happy for oyu to hold them, so udnerstand that when they want to go back, they need to

Hope this helps, if you wanna know anything else, you can always drop me and email!

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  16:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Powder is a supplement to aid in the production of calcium as the UVB light does not support full Calcium growth.
When the Dragons are older you could let them sunbathe in the garden in which case you could reduce the amount of powder needed.
This may be of some use.

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  17:15:33  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sounds like she used a cricket keeper to me
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  15:08:04  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! I only asked as they are my sisters and although she knows what she is doing, I did not want the kids to feed them for fun while I was there!! I wont handle the dragons, I only grabbed one as he ran out the viv when the door was open at one point. (one of the boys was showing me how they clean the poo up!!) I must admit I grabbed him from the top! I did not get a tail whipped luckaly!! I have not told the kids not to open the viv unless there mum or dad is in!!! I dont want to risk any injury to me or the beardies through my inexperiance!!! Even though the kids know what they are doing and my sister said, oh they are fine, I dont like the idea of anything happening while im here lol!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000