Corn snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  21:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son purchase a corn snake that supposely was born first part of July. We cannot get it to get? Is shedding at the moment and is very active. Have tried numerous things I have read but no go. What can I do?

moved to general

Edited by - lee2308 on 31/08/2009 21:39:30

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  21:36:02  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum. Firstly you need to leave well alone for a week so it can settle in. just go in to change the water each day. Once the week is up and providing the snake has shed, offer a feed. If the snake takes it leave again for 2 days then start trying to handle.
Is it a hatchling? If so small amounts of handaling every few days and slowley build it up. He will calm down in time.
Aslo make sure your heatmat and stat are set up correctly, so not to cause any extra stress!
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  21:38:26  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome you would be better off leaving it alone until it has shed then it wil probably feed then.Whats your set up like and the temps,any ics of your set up?

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  21:42:43  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just read this again and if it's in the shedding stages it wouldnt be very active so maybe there is a problem with the temps or set up.What stage of the shedding process is it at?Is it's eyes blue?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  21:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you can tell I do not have a clue. We are new owners and have no experiance. We have the snakes {Digger and Deedee} in a 20 gallon snake aqu. large water dish, a cave so they may hide and a smooth med. rock so they can climb. Temp is set between 80 to 90 with a heat lamp going and being monitored. Is it normal for a snake to go so long with eating?. I say the snake is shedding because last week her eyes were cloudy and was very in active now her skin her skin is not all intact but has not shed in 1 piece.
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  22:07:18  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
you need to seperate the snakes, into smaller housing. They dont like big spaces.
they need a cool end and a warm end, so just a heat mat on a thermoostat will do heat mats are better than bulbs
they need2 hides, one in the warm end one in the cold end.
I think the snake is moving around so much because of the stress of being housed together with another. In shed they tend to hide away and you dont see them for about a week.

Please dont think im having a go, Im just trying to help you!
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  22:48:24  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As said already,First of all you need to you need to house young snakes seperatly or you wake up to find one fat one and house them in small fuanariums with heat mats controlled by a thermostat not lamps as corns need belly heat more than ambient heat.How are you heating the viv at night when the lamp is off?You also need to get the remaining skin off and can do this by giving it a shallow bath at 85 degrees and then let it slither through a rough towel or flannel,but do not peel the skin.Where abouts are you as there maybe someone local who can help.

Edited by - lee2308 on 31/08/2009 22:54:44
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  22:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Paula. It is hard knowing what is the right thing to do and what is going on when you are a new owner (have only had my corn for 5 months so am still a newbie). But you have done exactly the right thing - found a fantastic forum where you can get good advice from a lot of experienced snake owners and support as well. Do what has been suggested and see if her behaviour changes. Has she still got any of her shed skin still on her? xxx

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  22:57:03  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ignor my comment about someone local,just noticed your in the usa.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  07:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you definitely need to separate your snakes pronto. they are solitary creatures and with only 1 hide between them (should be a minimum of 4, 2 at each end) then they are bound to be stressed.

put them in smaller tanks/faunariums. general rule is length + width of tank should be = to the length of the snake.

change the lamp to a heat mat attached to a mat-stat set to between 27-30c. use digi thermometers to monitor temps at each end, the dial on stats is very inaccurate.

hope this helps

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  19:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have known people to keep Snakes using Heat Bulbs too, but its a personal Choice i reckon, i was tempted to try the Bulb but i just use a Heatmat with a Digital Thermometer inside the Hide to get the temp.. Plus the one i hvae is a good one and is only ever 0.1 off.. ''Apparently'' lol

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000