Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  21:40:06  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well i think snakes shoudl be kept together!

all i want to say isi think that ALL snake owners should read about the pro's and con's of co-inhabiting then make a decision themselves. what annoys me [not sayin anyone does it here] is people telling you NEVER keep corns together. because that is a disision that is meant for the owner. however strong words of encouragement are reccomended because i dont know how many times people have said they read about it then said something totally untrue!

from experience from "working" at my rep shop talking to new customers i always advise to keep corns seperate and when you become more knowledgable then co-inhabite if you believe nessasery.
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  21:41:48  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
forgot to mention the prove is in the mods here.

Matty and GP are strongly against co-inhabiting
Tizzy co-inhabites same sex snake [i believe]

but yet again. if new to snakes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE except although it may look good that it aint in the best interests of your snakes
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  21:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you will find GP co-habits corns, but she feels, (like most of us do), that it is for experienced keepers only and you need to be very aware of whats going on.

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  21:46:11  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
fair enough but what i was trying to get accross is we arent having a go at people. we just have strong opinions and we are trying to make sure that people ACTUALLY understand the pro's and con's not just think they do
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

299 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  22:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was aware of what could of happened and have sealed the viv up apart from doors so therir is no chance of the sharing one side again and for good reason to im swapping my snow male for a snow motley girl all good in the end

1.0.0 bci rocky
0.1.0 bci twix
0.1.0 silver queen
1.0.0 anery beetlejuice
0.1.0 snow motley snowdrop
0.1.0 holly (caviler king charles)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  22:21:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I think you will find GP co-habits corns, but she feels, (like most of us do), that it is for experienced keepers only and you need to be very aware of whats going on.

very true matty, i have a 1.1 pair, a 2.0 pair and a 0.2 permanently cohabiting BUT this is done with:
*FULL knowledge of all the pros and cons
*CAREFULLY matched PROVEN sexes
*CAREFULLY matched age AND size
*ALL snakes are of a suitable age where cannibalism and unwanted matings are NOT likely to happen
*snakes are VERY carefully monitored
*snakes are fed seperately
*i have FULL provision for splitting them up if neccessary

with all the above in mind i would definitely NOT recommend co-habiting to an inexperienced keeper.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  22:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

very true matty, i have a 1.1 pair, a 2.0 pair and a 0.2 permanently cohabiting BUT this is done with:
*FULL knowledge of all the pros and cons
*CAREFULLY matched PROVEN sexes
*CAREFULLY matched age AND size
*ALL snakes are of a suitable age where cannibalism and unwanted matings are NOT likely to happen
*snakes are VERY carefully monitored
*snakes are fed seperately
*i have FULL provision for splitting them up if neccessary

with all the above in mind i would definitely NOT recommend co-habiting to an inexperienced keeper.

I think this is a very important point. If you intened to keep 3 snakes together, you would also need 2 other vivs, 3 mats and up to 3 stats even though they are in the same viv.

I dont understand why a person new to the hobby would even bother.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

299 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  22:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
none off them are cohabiting just the hatchling from time to time wouldnt put them in with my big boy think he would eat them straight away he is in his own rub and very soon viv when finished the babies share a old fish take that got heat mat on half the tank so they both have hot and cold end obb controlled by stats

1.0.0 bci rocky
0.1.0 bci twix
0.1.0 silver queen
1.0.0 anery beetlejuice
0.1.0 snow motley snowdrop
0.1.0 holly (caviler king charles)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  04:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andy n amz

i was aware of what could of happened and have sealed the viv up apart from doors so therir is no chance of the sharing one side again and for good reason to im swapping my snow male for a snow motley girl all good in the end

I am glad that you have sealed up viv. I have no experience of co-habiting except what I have already read on this forum. But from what I have read I would say that with hatchlings there is a definite risk that is not taking, and with older snakes you need to be experienced enough to know what you are doing, like GP. But obviously this is only my opinion, not fact, and I accept that I have lots still to learn. xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  08:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done guys, deffo the right way to go.

we must have pics of your new snow motley too!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Williamson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  09:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, didn't realise 3rd and 4th page existed....... Doh!

0.1.0 Corn snake - Galaxy
2.1.0 Bearded Dragons - Herb, George & Nala

Edited by - Williamson on 08/09/2009 10:00:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000