New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  16:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

My snake cash didnt feed last week which is normal when she is due to shed so wasnt worried, last night i was getting worried becasue she still hadnt shead i tried to help her put her in some warm water and she shed some from the tail and i hoped this would help her, today she seems very weak and keeps turning on her back, my plan is too out some damp moss in the viv and leave her be, any advice?

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  16:59:33  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
vets asap,lying on their backs is not a good sign,can she right herself if you put her on her back?

Edited by - lee2308 on 29/08/2009 17:03:40
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  17:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes she did it twice when i had her out but since i have put her back in the viv she is just still but hant done it since, this is very strange she is normally very healthy
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  17:05:31  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have emailed gp to come and give you some advice as she has alot of medical knowlage

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  17:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, what is strange is that if i hadnt got her out today i wouldnt have know anything was wrong ie she didnt turn until i got her out almost as if she was trying to tell me to leave her alone
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  18:08:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sounds like the water was probably too warm, if it feels at all warm to us as warmblooded mammals with a body temp of 37*C, it'll be too warm for your snake. did you check the temperature of the bath with a thermometer?

choices are to phone an exotics vet for advice, take it to an exotics vet to be looked at, or monitor at home till after the bank holiday........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 29/08/2009 18:10:42
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  18:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks...no i didnt check with a thermometer, it was what i would call luke warm, hope i havent made things worse :( I will monitor her over the weekend and she how she gets on she is in the moss at the moment and is just still
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  18:19:54  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you do really need to check water with thermometer. the water should be around 27c im lead to believe.snakes can't thermoregulate like us which means the cant control their temps so if the water is too hot they just boil
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  18:36:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes Brookie you're right, the temp of the water should be about the same as the temp in the warm end of the viv so 28*C ish, and should ALWAYS be checked with a thermometer

if you can get some Critial care or Reptoboost it might be worth adding it to the water bowl, other than that just keep it quiet and cover over the viv if you can to keep it dark and cosy and as stress-free as possible.

without seeing the snake it's difficult to make a call on what to do, it still might be worth phoning an exotics vet for advice.......

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

meggi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
321 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  13:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont anything bout the water , sorry :( , i i was you i would take cash 2 the vets as soon as poss. gud lukxxx

sorrii no piks of toby.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  04:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any news on your snake GemmaBarry? Hope its ok. xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom