wanted corn snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  23:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to the forum and this is my first thread, so Hi all.

I am looking to keep a snake or two and after doing research I am looking for some corn snakes. I like the sound of hatchlings but as I am a beginner I was thinking of something abit older. my viv is roughly 4ft x 1 1/2ft this be large enough for 2 full grown corn snakes or to big for two hatchlings/small corns.I have some pics on photobucket not very good pics and any criticism appreciated:

viv :: 28-08-09_1809.jpg picture by ian07799 - Photobucket

I have a heat mat covering half the tank with a heat range from 22 to 32 degrees celcius would this be ok as (it might be a stupid question but) it does not feel that warm. So do corn snakes need that much heat.

I am a student studying marine biology so am not not looking to spend alot of money but if anybody has a snake for sale or one that needs rehoming within a reasonable distance from hull (say around an hours drive) I would more than interested.

Anyway thanks for looking

Regards Ian

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  17:41:07  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum.

firstly heat mat should cover a 3rd of the viv (i know its picky but leads onto next point)
corns are hardy snakes and can survive in different temps but the best temp would be cold end of 25c and hot end 29c. i know its not a great difference but the temps can sometimes make corns feel uneased and therefore may not eat.

main point i have to say (although a believer myself) is housing corns together is not a good idea for a beginner. myself and tizzy do support co-inhabiting but it does have major problems especially with babies as they are more canabalistic and as you can imagine if tht hapens both corns will die. problems with older corns is incorrect sexing (which happened to me} and you end up with eggs and so on.

a 4 ft viv will be suitable for a grown on corn though. the size should be around 4ft to go in a viv that size. i hope that this helps you. snakes are great!

hope you get what your after

Andy

P.S this is my longest post ever
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  18:28:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have a 2 year old corn for sale and another adult that's free to an approved home only and must be returned to me rather than sold on should your circumstances change.
i'm Hull-side of Leeds so about 45 mins to an hour away, you can email me on itsGP@hotmail.com for more info if you'd like

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  20:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a 4 year old male corn for sale , from near sheffield

1.1. corns charlie + charlotte
1.1. corns bubblegum + jaffacake ( gf's)
1.1. bcc Viktor + unknown
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  22:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brookestar

hi and welcome to the forum.

firstly heat mat should cover a 3rd of the viv (i know its picky but leads onto next point)
corns are hardy snakes and can survive in different temps but the best temp would be cold end of 25c and hot end 29c. i know its not a great difference but the temps can sometimes make corns feel uneased and therefore may not eat.

main point i have to say (although a believer myself) is housing corns together is not a good idea for a beginner. myself and tizzy do support co-inhabiting but it does have major problems especially with babies as they are more canabalistic and as you can imagine if tht hapens both corns will die. problems with older corns is incorrect sexing (which happened to me} and you end up with eggs and so on.

a 4 ft viv will be suitable for a grown on corn though. the size should be around 4ft to go in a viv that size. i hope that this helps you. snakes are great!

hope you get what your after

Andy

P.S this is my longest post ever

Cheers for the info Andy,I do have one question though I have a thermostat connected to the heat mat so it keeps the temp right but there are the odd fluctuations sometimes to approx 35 the cool end warms up a little too. this only happens on a sunny day for an hour or so would this matter too much
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  23:18:08  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well your thermostat should be set to 29-30c so if it does get too hot your heat mat is turned off therefore cooling the viv and when it gets too cold it switches back on like magic what have you got it set too?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000