Hi all
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  23:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to the forum and this is my first thread, so Hi all.

I am looking to keep a snake or two and after doing research I am looking for some corn snakes. I like the sound of hatchlings but as I am a beginner I was thinking of something abit older. my viv is roughly 4ft x 1 1/2ft would this be large enough for 2 full grown corn snakes or to big for two hatchlings/small corns.I have some pics on photobucket not very good pics and any criticism appreciated:

viv :: 28-08-09_1809.jpg picture by ian07799 - Photobucket

I have a heat mat covering half the tank with a heat range from 22 to 32 degrees celcius would this be ok as (it might be a stupid question but) it does not feel that warm. So do corn snakes need that much heat.

I am a student studying marine biology so am not not looking to spend alot of money but if anybody has a snake for sale or one that needs rehoming within a reasonable distance from hull (say around an hours drive) I would more than interested.

Anyway thanks for looking

Regards Ian

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  02:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So good to hear of somebody doing their research so well before buying a pet. If you want a snake a corn is the way to go, especially as a first snake, and there are so many different morphs (types/colours) to choose from. I would definitely agree with you going on an older snake to start with, it is what I have done. Hatchlings really need a more experienced owner. When you do buy your snake get as much info as possible - preferably a care book with age, regular weights, when fed, when shed, health problems etc.
Be careful about housing snakes together (controversal topic) and you definitely should never house hatchlings together cos of the risk of cannabilism. With slightly older snakes you can have the risk of pregnancy when the snake is too young if you are not sure of sex. Am sure you will get advice on here about that.
Checkout the care sheet from this site, sorry dont know how to include link. It should tell you about temps etc.
I am pretty new to all this, only had Kellog about 5 months, but this forum has really helped me out. It is a fantastic place to get advice and you can ask the silliest question without feeling stupid. If someone doesnt know the answer, someone else will! You also get friendship and fun here, so welcome. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  06:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum.
4' x 1.5' is adequate for an adult corn, but too big for hatchlings / any snake under two years old. As for keeping two together if they are female it should be O.K.
Males will fight, they are solitary creatures in the wild.
Snakes bask getting there heat from the rocks they lay on, a Heat mat heats up using infrared and only heats the substrate, this means the overall temp in the viv remains lower.
Get two digital thermometers and place the probes one at each end of the viv, one on the heat mat.

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  11:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  12:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey ian , i am in cleethorpes and currently looking to rehome one of mine,origonly bought as a corn but is in fact a great plains rat snake , feeds well and ok to handle , can be a bit viv defensive ,on occasions,he is approx 1 yr old not looking for owt for him ,but need the room , if interested mail me steve@karting.cc

1.1.0 amel.."andy" ..caramel??... "sarah"?
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  13:27:58  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum,as previously said there are no benifits to the snake if you cohabitate them only risks,nevermind how slim.There is plenty of threads about this to make your mind up but i think 2vivs look better than 2 snakes in 1 viv. Why not just get the 1 snake for now and see how you get on,plenty of time to get more as im sure you will as they can be addictive

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  13:29:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  13:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

hi and welcome to the forum,as previously said there are no benifits to the snake if you cohabitate them only risks,nevermind how slim.There is plenty of threads about this to make your mind up but i think 2vivs look better than 2 snakes in 1 viv. Why not just get the 1 snake for now and see how you get on,plenty of time to get more as im sure you will as they can be addictive

Hi thanks for all the info I reckon I will just stick with getting one adult for the moment, can always knock up another viv if I fancy another.
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  18:11:29  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome. i commented on your other post btw mate
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  22:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian07799

quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

Hi thanks for all the info I reckon I will just stick with getting one adult for the moment, can always knock up another viv if I fancy another.

Glad to hear your decision. Get some experience with one and then increase when you are ready.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000