Air temperature?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  10:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be having a viv stack built within the next month or two which means my corn will be having a viv upgrade to a 3'x3'x20" (LxWxH). Her current viv is 3'x18.5"x21" and she uses every inch of it.

At the moment I only use a heatmat which to be honest my corn rarely uses however with a much bigger viv I'm concerned about heat. What should the ambient air temperature be for a corn?

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  11:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
floor temp is the important bit, as long as your heat mat is running at around 30c it should be fine. also bear in mind that bigger isnt necessarily better with corns.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  13:39:35  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
30 is a bit hot, make it around 27-28

if he doesn't use his mat at the moment, maybe it is too warm for him so he stays on the cool side?
For air temperature, the same as the room is fine for corns

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  13:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"It's useful when using either method to have a small thermometer on each end of the vivarium to check the temperature. Place the thermometers near the hides on top of the substrate as this is where your Corn snake will spend the majority of it's time.One end should be around 30°C and the other around 21°C. Checking temperatures regularly is advised to ensure that your Corn Snake can thermo-regulate by moving around the tank"
-taken from the care sheet for this forum.

is this wrong then?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Edited by - SexyBear77 on 26/08/2009 13:53:05
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  14:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep mine nearer 27-28, but its personal choice.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  19:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you get the cool side to around 21? Shen's box is pretty small, only 30cm in length, and the temp gradient at the moment is 25.3-28.6. Looks like I need to bring the cool end down, would it help if I pulled the heat mat so that is touches less of the floor space? I'm concerned this would be too little a space for Shen to rest on. What do I do, then?
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  19:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
smaller boxes are a pain, make sure the cool side has plenty of ventilation and just monitor it. my small viv (2foot, by 1 foot) had a pants gradient, but now mushu is in a three footer the gradient is 21-30

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  20:07:22  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

"It's useful when using either method to have a small thermometer on each end of the vivarium to check the temperature. Place the thermometers near the hides on top of the substrate as this is where your Corn snake will spend the majority of it's time.One end should be around 30°C and the other around 21°C. Checking temperatures regularly is advised to ensure that your Corn Snake can thermo-regulate by moving around the tank"
-taken from the care sheet for this forum.

is this wrong then?

IMHO yes, but as always there are always differing opinions on how things should be so theres never a clear right or wrong.
I generally recommend lower than 30 because I read somewhere that neurological problems can occur at prolonged high temperatures (30 degrees was mentioned).
The thing to remember is that inside a viv we are trying to replicate natural surroundings as much as possible, and heat is one of those things that varies so much because of the wide natural range of corns - eg. miami gets a lot hotter than new jersey

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  20:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually have it around 30-31oC on Warm side, and just Room Temp for the Cool end, havent had any problems since i got Noodle (A Year ago) :)

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  20:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My personal way of doing it anyway, theres not really a right or wrong, its peoples personal keeping

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  11:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. Viv will be in the same room as her current one so the room temperature won't change, I'll just transfer the mat over.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000