Hello!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im April (married to Andrew! he might have already registered here!!!) we've got 2 kids (Ciaran 6 1/2yrs, Skye 4 1/4yrs!) 2 cats (Gingerboy & Fifi) and 1 very cute/handsome corn snake Boycie (approx. 6 1/2yrs old). We got him from a friend who's had him for about 5yrs. We've had him for just over 3wks now, he's been out and about 3 times and fed twice. He's doin ok we think, we're just waiting for him to start shedding. We're not sure when he last shed so think its any time now really. We got him out to blitz his viv night before last & he seemed a bit skittish (which we think may be another sign!!). He's been under his hideyrock since we put him back in & Ive only seen him pop his head out once since! Is this normal-ish sort of behaviour? My gut instinct (never having owned/handled snakes before!) is telling me its fine!!!

Any ideas?

moved to intros

April xxxxxxxx
Let me see more pics of Boycie & Co!
Boycie's 1st shed

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 25/08/2009 14:10:57

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he's still settling in and so its perfectly normal for him to hide away. bear in mind that corn snakes are more active in the evening and over the night, so for all you know he might be coming out to zoom around when you 2 are asleep!!

just out of interest, why were you blitzing the viv?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's probably a it skittish cos he's not used to you yet. After a few more handlings he should start to calm down. Was he handled regularly by his previous owner?

Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and welcome. lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx for replies! Yeah, he was handled regularly, although they only had 1 3yr old, we've got 2 kids and theyre noisy as hell when theyre "on one"!!!! I know theyre active at night and as I said, my gut syas he's fine! Just wondered what others might think! Wanna put a pic on but workin out how to do it (Facebook is the home of my 50-odd albums!!!!)

April xxxxxxxx
Boycie's 1st shed
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh! & blitzing the viv was cleaning it out! Bark needed changin, whole thing needed cleanin!

April xxxxxxxx
Boycie's 1st shed
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:58:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
use photobucket for photos, upload them and then paste the image code into your message

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:59:02  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum btw? bit of a liate reply so how is snakie now?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  11:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's restin!!! changed his water, didnt move a sausage!

April xxxxxxxx
Boycie's 1st shed
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  14:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Another hello and welcome

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 25/08/2009 14:11:39
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  16:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, thought I'd check in, I had to lift his rock to make myself believe he was ok! He is!!! (as I bloody thought - Rolls eyes at self!) He's poked his head out since, so im happy!

April xxxxxxxx
Boycie's 1st shed
Go to Top of Page

muffin
Hatchling

United Kingdom
110 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  17:02:57  Show Profile  Click to see muffin's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum April :), btw great name for ya snake lol love it.

1.0.0 Ghost corn-Dexter
1.0.0 Snow corn-Stig
0.1.0 Carolina corn-Roxy
0.0.1 Amel corn-Oscar
1.0.0 Florida kingsnake Elvis
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  21:33:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

meggi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
321 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  16:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heii april , sounds fine to me , shes probs just settling inxxx gud luk xx
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  03:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi April. Am sure things are fine. Signs of him going into shed is when he goes 'blue', his eyes will go cloudy and so will his skin. He will probably stay in hiding during that time cos he will be virtually blind. The cloudiness then clears up and between 2 days to a week later he will shed. He'll start by rubbing his head on whatever is available to loosen skin. I dont handle or feed Kellog when he is 'blue'. By the way, welcome. The forum is a great place for advice, support, friendship and fun - but I warn you....you can never sstop at one corn....have had Kellog (4 and a half year old) for 4 months and am already thinking of getting another....if I can talk other half into it! xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  14:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's been out n about, bombin around like a nut! He's deffo rubbin against the stuff in his viv, he isnt a bluey colour yet tho & his eyes look ok, been spritzing water onto his Fake plant he's got (when we bought him, he came wiv everything from the previous owner who had him for 5yrs, so Ive no reason to think he'd have any problems shedding - just us not bein used to him/snakes per say!!)

Thanks for all the responses so far! I doubt we'll get anotha snake! We've got 2 cats, 2 kids, he works & im a student midwife with 1yrs left b4 qualifying!

April xxxxxxxx
Boycie's 1st shed
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  15:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum April, sounds like Boycie doing fine. It's easy to panic when it's all new but there are always people willing to help on here if you have any problems.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  19:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aprilandrewparker

He's been out n about, bombin around like a nut! He's deffo rubbin against the stuff in his viv, he isnt a bluey colour yet tho & his eyes look ok, been spritzing water onto his Fake plant he's got (when we bought him, he came wiv everything from the previous owner who had him for 5yrs, so Ive no reason to think he'd have any problems shedding - just us not bein used to him/snakes per say!!)

Thanks for all the responses so far! I doubt we'll get anotha snake! We've got 2 cats, 2 kids, he works & im a student midwife with 1yrs left b4 qualifying!

Glad he is out and about. It is amazing when they do shed, but I warn you that once it starts its over in the blink of an eye! Have 2 kids myself and 1 dog, but cant help loving handling Kellog and wondering about adding to the family.....

Great that you are training as midwife. Must be scarey/great with only one year to go!!! xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  20:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
look forwards to seeing pics!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic