New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  01:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Shop said half an hour out of the freezer is enough to make pinkie ready to be offered. Is that so?

Also, how long after taking pinkie out of freezer is it still fresh enough to be offered?

Thanks,

Hawkeye & Snake

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  01:26:59  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i take mine out about 6pm to feed bout 9pm then i blast it with a hair dryer.
you just need to leave it out longer enough to get the whole thing up to room temp.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  01:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh! So when I tried to feed him earlier on I was actually offering him a not-ready pinkie.. No wonder he gave me the "send this back to the kitchen and tell the cook she's fired!" response.

Meanwhile I've read the post about non-eaters, where it says one could leave an offering in the viv for up to 24 hours (on a piece of paper, covered) so now I'm sorry I binned that mouse.

I'll follow the advice about leaving it for a week (from the other forum) although I have to admit it will require discipline not to think I'm starving him!

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  01:43:22  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he will be fine. and yes leaving in the viv can help. if he doesnt take it in seven days. post on here again and we will give you more tip and hints but till then just leave him be and he should feed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  02:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put mine in a cup with warm water for about 20-25mins prior to being in the fridge for about 2hrs

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  03:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks. He's absolutely beautiful... I'll try for some pics once he's settled in. If you asked me yesterday, I'd have said cats were my favourite animals. Starting a few hours ago, cats are delegated to 2nd place.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  08:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's weird isn't it, I would never have thought of a snake as a pet but after my daughter got James now we fight over him

To defrost pinkies, they're so small they don't take long, we just used to put them in a small container of hot water from the tap (not boiling from the kettle!), and leave it 10 or 15 minutes, then put more hot water in, then after another minute pop in the viv.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  16:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i leave my pinkie in a tub in a warmish place (usually on the window sill somewhere) for about an hour and then either put the heat lamp i have on it or blast the hair dryer on it for a few mins
also if you feed in his viv just make sure he cant get any substrate stuck to it otherwise it can cause serious problems for them

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  18:20:28  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you use hot water and it is too hot, the mouse can explode (yes it happened here :S )
Also don't leave the pinky in for more than 24 hours because it will start rotting and the smell of decaying mouse isn't the most pleasant in the world

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2009 :  07:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with eeji, if he doesnt take when you offer and you leave it in over night I would throw it away the next morning if its not eaten. I know I wouldn't want to eat food left lying around in the heat of a viv, so I wouldnt want my snake to. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  23:27:30  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OK, I've just realised how weird I am!!

I defrosted pinkies for the first time in months the other day (for my beardies) and I left them on the side for 15 mins, then just made sure it was in the corner of a sandwich bag and popped it in my mouth for another 10 mins or so.

Does anyone else do anything similar, or am I the only one??

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

69 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  00:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that sounds a little gross kehhlyr what if there is a small hole in the bag or something and you had it in your mouth for 10 mins i would throw up after 10 seconds
weird is a good thing if your normal your boring and believe me kehhlyr your anything but normal
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  01:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kehhlyr i think your just gross!

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  02:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kehhlyr, sounds like an excellent advice. Is it better to hold pinkie near the left cheek, or the right?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  14:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

Kehhlyr, sounds like an excellent advice. Is it better to hold pinkie near the left cheek, or the right?

Whatever you feel is easiest.
I used my left cheek.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  14:11:30  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aha that is the weirdest thing i have ever heard lol!

I just leave my pinkies out for 45 mins, poke them with the tweezers to make sure there is no hard bits that havent defrosted then feed them too my snakes! They strike straight away!!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  20:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Whatever you feel is easiest.
I used my left cheek.

Very well. I'll be seeing my dentist about extracting the teeth on that side; one has to think ahead to fuzzies, weanlings, and so on.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000