New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  16:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

My son Thomas and i have a "classic" cornsnake called Snips, she is about six months old we've had her for two of those, she's handled daily for around 15 minutes and is always happy and active during this period (usualy poo's during this time a couple of days after feeding?).

Once she goes back into her viv (small plastic one, heat mat at one end with a small rock cave over and a log at the cold end) we don't see her again she's either in the hot cave after feeding or under the cold log. Should we see her moving aroung the viv?

We have one of the circular temperature guages in the midle of the viv that states 23 degress C.

Should she be active and out in the open, when you go into the reptile shops you always see the snakes out and about.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  17:29:46  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
first of all 23c is a bit low. should be around 27. corns snakes are generally lazy but the temp may be playing a part in her lazyness. corns are nocturnal so become more active at night. mine stay in their hides all day but when darkness falls its a different story and they will move around.

main worries would be the temperature.

hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  18:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, To start with your temps are to low. You need a thermometer at either end not one in the middle. The dial gauges are also inaccurate so digital will be better. The temp at the warm end needs to be around 29c. Corns are mainly active at night so you wont see them move a lot in the daytime. The reason they are out and about in reptile shops is because they dont normally have hides to go into so you see them all the time.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  20:43:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  21:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for your advice, i've ordered a dual area digital thermometer.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  23:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya and welcome..sort out your temps and things should improve.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

67 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  12:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome:)

1.0.ghost stripe motley het vanishing pattern.
0.1.caramel motley het butters.
0.1.amel.
1.1.snows.
1.1.caramels het butter motleys.
1.1.boa constrictors.
0.1.cali king.
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  12:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum, as said b4 snakes are mainly active at night once you sort the temp out you should see an improvement.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  13:23:48  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to forum.

Sometimes you will find your snake will be a bit quiet and stay in hides for longer than usual. Mine is just going through the same thing at the moment. He's fine to handle, and eating well, but prefers to hide away. Its normal, or at least mine has had many spells like that over the years.

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".
Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  14:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  21:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is going throug that at the moment. Have had to minimise his viv (remove substrate and plants etc) cos of mites and think that putting him on kitchen roll has made him feel exposed and wonder whether it has also dropped temp. Thermo are on each end but high up (level of light), but think it must be cooler at his level. Changing bulb as soon as possible and getting his viv back to normal. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  12:49:28  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  15:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2009 :  22:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcom. I got a dual area thermometer and the cool side is 22 c & the warm side is 26.7 c. I'm using the heat mat and not the bulb as the viv isn't very high, how can i increase the temperature to 29 c

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2009 :  02:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a digital thermometer, which I got from Aldi, it has a probe on a wire which I use to sample the temperatures.
The Heat mat is best at 30 - 32 degrees C.Snakes get their warmth from laying on the warm rocks so air temp is not as important as the ground temp.
You may need to reduce the covering on the heatmat or get a larger one to increase the air temp to around 29 degrees C.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2009 :  10:40:29  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum,best place to stick a dial thermometer in is a wheelibin,dont know why they even bother making them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000