Viv advice needed please! :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  20:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi after chompy had finished her shed I thought it would be a good idea to measure her shed to get a rough idea of how big she is getting, after doing this I realised that she is fast aproaching 27 inches and I feel that her large plastic fawnarium is a little on the small side for her!
I would like to build my own unique viv for her as a double stacked unit so shylo can live above her!
The idea I have is to make an angle iron frame and putty or silicone in glass for the top, sides, base and back then put runners in on the front for sliding glass doors.(almost like what they use in fish stores for the tank racks)
I was wondering what dimensions I need to have for height and depth, the plan is to make it 4 feet long 15 inches front to back and 18 inches high (per viv) with a polystyrene sandwich between the roof of viv one and the floor of viv 2 to stop heat transfering from the bottom viv to the top and vice versa!
Is this a good idea as I already have a glass supplier who can supply the glass and drill any holes needed for ventilation and wiring cheaply!
Thanks in advance guys!!

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there are links somewhere on here for diy vivs - cant say i would trust myself to make one myself as knowing me i would probs not fix parts of it together properly

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when you measure the shed you need to minus it by 10%

how big is the faun?

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont use putty as it will be toxic and not safe for snakes.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:35:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the heat transfer should be a problem if you're using heatmats......... an adult corn is only likely to need a 3 - 3.5 foot long viv as an adult

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the fawnarium is 18 x 12 x 8 inches (length, depth, height) and chompy using the minus 10% method is 24 and a bit inches (2 feet)!
Is it the case that the 4 feet long viv would be to big in the long term? and if so I can have it downsized a little anyway, I think an Aquarium non toxic sealer would be a good bet then (thoughts that if it's good for fish then it's safe for snakes ?? )

Thanks for the rapid response guys, still in the build it on paper stage at the mo as I don't like wooden vivs would have thought glass was more hygenic + i like it, also are the depth and height measurements right (15 inches deep and 18 inches high for adult room)?
thanks again guys
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  00:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the snake is longer than the length and half the width then its time to upgrade, ive been told to go by them calculations

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  13:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there, my partner is planning in making a viv for my male snake looked up making vivs on the net it said not to use normall silicone as it is toxic you should use the same silicone that is used in fish tanks.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  17:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's going to be all glass, what will you do about ventilating the viv?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  15:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry been a long time since i been around! being all glass I was planning on having holes bored when I bought the glass to fit normal vents as you would in a standard viv as i said before this is still at the on paper stage at the moment i will post pics if i decide to build it =0)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000