"Kink" or "bump" on tail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  14:52:33  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been told that a kink or bump has been found on the tail of my Blizzard by the breeder, although its not visible apparently you can slightly feel it.

She said that it wouldn't effect breeding/shedding/etc.
I don't know much about the anatomy of a snake, what a kink physically is or how this will effect the health of the snake, anybody able to shed some light on the subject?

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  15:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A kink is a wonky bit on the spine. Some snakes can hatch with a big kink (so most are put down). Small kinks wont do any harm to the snake but they are rarely used for breeding.

Have you seen or paid for the snake yet?

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  15:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A "kink" is just a step or notch in the muscle or bone, that can be caused by injuries, illness or peculiar growth patterns. More severe ones are visible by eye,with a noticable bend in the body being seen, others can only be felt. They can get progressively worse with age/growth, though can also get better. If it is quite close to the end of the tail on your snake, it shouldnt really cause any problems with shedding, breeding or movement. Higher up (nearer the vents etc.) it may then start to interfere with the snakes natural processes. Also, if the snake has a kink in its skeleton due to a genetic abnormality, it is often a good idea to not use it for breeding, as this can be passed on to the offspring with disastrous results.

Bumps however, instead of kinks, are different altogether and can be an indication of illness or injury, parasites/skin conditions. I would suggest that you ask your breeder nicely to pop the snake down to a rep vet for a little check up, as well as a second opinion.

keep us posted, hope this helps.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  15:18:10  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick response guys, apparently it is near the very end of the tail and nothing like it has been found with any of the other blizzards in the clutch. The breeder confirms it is a kink.

However she has dropped the price of the snake because in her word's: "Would sell this for £40 not £50 just because it's not 'perfect'".

If my snake will have a happy healthy life I don't mind getting it but if its going to have problems later down the line with breeding and stuff I think I might wait for another one of the clutch to get hungry and have their first meals.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  15:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personaly if I had the option of a kinked snake and a "perfect" snake of the same morph, I would wait for the good one.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  15:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, it should be healthy and a happy little snake, but if you want to breed then better off waiting for another one. You will thank yourself for it!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  15:26:08  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Think I might wait till the others start feeding then.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  15:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont see any kink
trust u to get the fussy snake!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  15:35:34  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

i dont see any kink
trust u to get the fussy snake!

She said the tail was short and bumpy and sent me that picture despite the tail being hidden lol

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  15:42:59  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i can see it, look carefully near the tail where the little round thing is and you can just see it, i personally would get a good one, esp. If you're interested in breeding later on. Floss my daughter is getting a corn from gingerpony with a kink, but this will be her pet, not for breeding.

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  16:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oooh right.. still cant see it but i do have crappy eyesight haha

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  17:00:33  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just to give you guys an update I've decided to wait for one of its sisters to eat and get one of those if they are ready before the Doncaster show, if none of them are ready the breeder is going to keep this one on standby for me anyway so I can make a decision at the show.

Edited by - lucifer on 28/07/2009 17:00:50
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  17:49:43  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for the sake of a tenner i would get another,if it has defects it should be alot cheaper

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  17:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope one of the others feeds alright for you luke.. would hate for you to come home empty handed from the show lol

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  10:28:36  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

hope one of the others feeds alright for you luke.. would hate for you to come home empty handed from the show lol

Don't think there's any real danger of that!!

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  13:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can def see it cant ya? Wait for a perfect one, then it can be a parent with no worries!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000