want to keep a corn snake n m classroom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  11:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello, i am a teacher of 10/11 year old children. i am interested in getting a corn snake as a class pet. i have done a little reserach but would like to hear your views. Do you think a corn snake would be a suitable pet - what problems - might there be? etc
PS - Where would i get one!
Thanks for your help

Teach

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  11:56:43  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it's a great idea personally. But you'd have to be careful that the sanek was v. properly cared for, was in a quiet corner away from a lot of foot traffic, and that it wasn't constantly being harrased. I think it'd be v. good to teach children about snakes, and also how to care for animals that need a little more attention than a walk and a feed once a day You'll need to more than a little research though!

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  12:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
snakes can easily be stressed by high traffic areas, and a classroom would be one of these. Stressed snakes can be difficult to handle, and may refuse to feed etc. Also, bear in mind that children may be upset by the fact that the class pet eats small cute rodents.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  12:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a good idea, as long as its done properly. As long as your commited to the idea it should be fine.

Some things to think about:

You will need a lock on the cage
You will need to make sure the kids cant change the thermostat
Maybe change the glass doors of a viv for perspex as something could be thrown at it and smash.

I assume it will be your first snake? I think its important that you get a little experience with corn snakes so that you arnt as new to the concept as the students will be.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  12:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Might be easier to do as much research as possible then maybe get one yourself and keep it at home for a while. Then when you're ready, move the snake into the class.

Where are you located? (ish) We have members all over the country and can hopefully recommend specific people to go to talk to as well.

Snakes in a classroom is a brilliant idea, I helped in a class every so often and brought my snakes in. The class had animals in as well, snakes, spiders, scorpions as well as normal furry ones as well.
Worked brilliantly. These were 14-15 year old secondary school kids though.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  13:52:46  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think kehhlyr has the right idea,get one your self,grow it on a bit and getit familer with being handled ect then introduce to the class room.

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  17:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wicked class room pet - so much cooler than a fish or hamster - you will be the most popular teacher in school. I'd also suggest you go for an adult though, get one soon, give yourself time to get use to it the you can give it to your class as an xmas prezzie.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

348 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  04:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of schools in the states have them as pets in the class room. Zoos have them on display as do museums and pet shops, so why not?
As long as the snake has a couple of decent hides to get away from it all it should be ok. But don't expect to see it roving around all the time they tend to sit in there hides quite a bit!

1.0.0 cash snow corn
0.0.3 koi carp
0.0.18 assorted gold fish
axolotl eggs ready to hatch
0.1.0 Chaco golden knee T
0.1.0 chilli rose pending!

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  08:39:48  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeh. i mean a classroom is busy sure, but its not half as bas as say a corridoor or summat. Or a zoo for that matter :P

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: