If snake is sleep
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  16:06:55  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When i pick him up like if he is sleeping in the viv in his cave and i want to handle him what do i do is it best to leave him in peace or just move the cave and pick him up and handle him, im not sure what to do as its my first corn snake well its my first snake in general lol.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 17/07/2009 16:33:27

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  16:36:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd just open the viv, and leave it a minute or to to see if snake decides to see what's going on. Then move the cave and wait until he looks like he's ready to be lifted up.
I personally wouldn't lift up a sleeping snake until you have a lot more confidence in yourself AND the snake. 1 of mine likes to wait until she's ready, if i try to lift her from her hides, I get headbutted.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  17:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lift up the hide and then leave my hand in front of them for a minute so they get my scent,then just pick them up.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  17:41:22  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But if the snake is sleeping how will they know ive opened the glass slide doors and put my hand in there i herd snakes are deaf so how will he know im trying to handle him unles i touch him to wake his lazy ass up

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  18:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
vibrations. They are super-sensitive at picking them up. They'll be able to pick up the vibrations of your hand coming into contact with the viv door.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  18:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must admit that I never disturb Kellog while he is in his hide unless I really have to. Maybe its cos I am a new owner but I feel his hide must be his 'safe place' where he knows I won't bother him. Not sure if this is right or wrong. xxx

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  18:10:58  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

vibrations. They are super-sensitive at picking them up. They'll be able to pick up the vibrations of your hand coming into contact with the viv door.

Oh right so does this mean i wont be able to play music from my 8.1 surround sound which is in the same room that is connected to a big subwoofer as this will disturb the snake right so i will have to turn the subwoofer off right although snakes are deaf they will feel the vibrations.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  18:12:32  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Must admit that I never disturb Kellog while he is in his hide unless I really have to. Maybe its cos I am a new owner but I feel his hide must be his 'safe place' where he knows I won't bother him. Not sure if this is right or wrong. xxx

Yes thats right i read up on care sheet about this they feel secure in there hides and if there hides are too big for them it could make them feel insecure.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  18:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snakes spend most of their time in their hides so if i didnt take them out i wouldnt see them lol
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  01:45:02  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

quote:

Oh right so does this mean i wont be able to play music from my 8.1 surround sound which is in the same room that is connected to a big subwoofer as this will disturb the snake right so i will have to turn the subwoofer off right although snakes are deaf they will feel the vibrations.

Well even if your snakes don't mind - I reckon your neighbours might!

Seriously though, I would suspect long periods of sustained bass-booming may unsettle them a bit. I used to have the same concern with mine, but in the end the neighbours complained before the snakes so I sold my Jamos anyway

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  12:59:00  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I picked Bam up for the fist time last night, sat on the bed with hin incase he decided to dive! When I first went to pick him up he jumped so much it scared the life out of me!!! Once he was out he was fine, but I only handled him for a few mins before putting him in a box so I could clean his viv.
I have bought some beach chippings now. Putting him back was funny, he kept trying to climb back up my arm! I susspect the new bedding was a suprise to him! When I checked on him later he had wedged himself behind his hide, but made sure he was not touching the floor!!! He was fine an hour later, doing his usual, I will escape this place!! Ill try and get some pics tonight while I have him out, about time he made an apperance!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  14:51:27  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cherry-milkshake

quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

quote:

Well even if your snakes don't mind - I reckon your neighbours might!

Seriously though, I would suspect long periods of sustained bass-booming may unsettle them a bit. I used to have the same concern with mine, but in the end the neighbours complained before the snakes so I sold my Jamos anyway

I have no neighbours i have a detactched house 5 bed room and only 3 people live here lol its good for house partys :P so its not good to play music then ? if the snake in the same room

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  14:53:57  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulasparky

I picked Bam up for the fist time last night, sat on the bed with hin incase he decided to dive! When I first went to pick him up he jumped so much it scared the life out of me!!! Once he was out he was fine, but I only handled him for a few mins before putting him in a box so I could clean his viv.
I have bought some beach chippings now. Putting him back was funny, he kept trying to climb back up my arm! I susspect the new bedding was a suprise to him! When I checked on him later he had wedged himself behind his hide, but made sure he was not touching the floor!!! He was fine an hour later, doing his usual, I will escape this place!! Ill try and get some pics tonight while I have him out, about time he made an apperance!

Aww thats so good i want to see the pics please upload some :P

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  17:49:04  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ill try and get some when I get him out tonight, I did try and get some when he was in the viv, but no joy!!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  17:52:21  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ill try and get some when I get him out tonight, I did try and get some when he was in the viv, but no joy!!

What kind of corn do you have ?

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  17:52:58  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

How big is your viv as wel ?

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  17:58:59  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
he is an anmry I believe, Might have spelt that wrong, but he is orange red and peach! He is only a baby and the viv is a plastic tank from wilkos, its about 11 inch long 10 inches tall. Bam is about 12 inches long. I have an old fish tank in my partners parents loft thats 18 inches long, So if he gets a bit big I can move him to that one, till I get a 3 ft viv
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  20:59:08  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats good i cant wait til i bring mine home i been having weird dreams for the past 4 days bcos i just want to have my snake now but i gotta collect him on tuesday :D

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  23:34:41  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry could not get any pics. He was really jumpy today, and we put the viv on the bed when I take him out after a minute hu jumped into it, So have left him now. Something might have spooked him today, he was very unsettled. Im gonna leave him tommrow then try again monday
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000