yea I know another "kind of" feeding question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  14:17:46  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Right when I bought Bam he ws due a feed today, So as he was out and about I thought Id drop a pinky in (well it was on tongs but i droped it!) I very much doubt he will take it as he is probably getting used to all the diffrent smells and sounds ect. So It wont worry me if he does not
My questions are
1 can you refreeze pinkys? I have seen alot of conflicting advice about it
2 where is the best place to leave the pinky? On the heat mat (to keep it warm) in the cold side? Or anywhere??

Thanks for any replies!!

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  14:38:45  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey hun

1) Don't refreeze your pinkies - or any other food for that matter! There may be conflicting advice but I look at it like this - would you defrost and refreeze raw chicken?? I know it seems like a bit of a waste when they don't eat them - but to be honest I'd rather waste the money than risk refreezing defrost food. Just common sense to feed food that's as fresh as poss to keep a healthy snake I reckon

2) Keeping it warm may encourage the snake to eat it, but the warmer it is the more likely it is to become a breeding ground for bacteria if left for a long time. Also, you don't want to end up 'cooking' it. lol. Others may disagree but personally for these reasons if I'm leaving food for any length of time I tend to leave it in a cooler spot.

Hope that helps
xx

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  14:55:54  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yea that helps alot thanks!! I see what you mean by the refreezing, I dont think I would have anyway!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  15:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i microwaved a pinky for bout 5secs before feeding montana and he got right down to business.. but i warn you if you warm them up be prepared for a really nasty smell.. my nose is still smelling it now!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  15:13:36  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just defrosted it in warm water! I did not think you could microwave them?? I read somewhere because a microwave coks from the inside out it can burn the snake as the insides will be hot and the outside only warm?? I saw it on another forum (cant rember which one) before I found this one. Or is it a case of they dont know what they are talking about?
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  15:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i defrosted it first for about an hour and then heated it slightly..sorry forgot to mention that part lol

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  15:27:58  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh right!! I just had visions of a pinky exploding in the microwave!!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  15:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thought it had done with the nasty smell it made.. was gross!!

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  16:10:28  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok remind me NOT to do that then!! I think ill stick with hot water!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  16:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
think im going to do that aswell next time or use the hair dryer lol..

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  19:49:34  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
gonna try again later, I took the pinky out and put it in a bag in the fridge, im gonna try warming it up and putting it on the top of his viv, see if that gets him going! Ill wait till he is out and about again though. If that dont work ill give him another 5 days and try again
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  23:43:27  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulasparky

I just defrosted it in warm water! I did not think you could microwave them?? I read somewhere because a microwave coks from the inside out it can burn the snake as the insides will be hot and the outside only warm?? I saw it on another forum (cant rember which one) before I found this one. Or is it a case of they dont know what they are talking about?

Yup, I've always believed you weren't supposed to microwave them. I always defrost in warm water, then they are just warm enough to feed without being hot or 'cooked'

I used to know a guy who thawed his on the radiator - but I wouldn't recommend it! lol

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  09:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can tell you that pinkies DO explode in microwaves, it happened to me with my first snake when i was 8... mother was not pleased...
Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  10:10:44  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is it better to feed warm mice than cold???? I usually let mine defrost close to the vent in the viv, so the smell wafts about a bit for Sidley to pick up on while it defrosts.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  12:17:10  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jono2411

i can tell you that pinkies DO explode in microwaves, it happened to me with my first snake when i was 8... mother was not pleased...

LMAO - brilliant!

Yeah Taz, I would say warm rather than cold - perhaps it's just my snakes but they seem to prefer them warm, I think it's because the warmth tricks them into thinking they might be 'alive' lol

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  12:26:02  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I always feed warm, I have always found they feed better, but that could have just been my old snake! he would never eat cold ones!
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  14:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont warm in the microwave unless you want pinky splattered EVERYWHERE. My friend made this mistake only the once.........
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  21:43:04  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I widnt refreeze, endangering your snakes health for the sake of 30 odd pence lol! And y not take it out of viv and see if it will strike feed!!!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  22:00:21  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its all ok now, i started this topic ages ago!! she is fed out the viv just she was being picky that day. she has fed fine ever since
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000