New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  22:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!
Im new to the forum and bought my first corn about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunatley the staff at the pet shop were not very helpful (they couldnt even tell me the sex!) one staff member told me he was less than 12 months old another said he hatched May 08. Can anyone help from the picture? I have no clue whatsoever! Also should he be eating pinkies or fuzzies? thanks!

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  22:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Natalie, welcome to the forum. Sadly don't know answers to your questions, but you can guarantee that someone can help you.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  22:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
judging by the size i think hes still fairly young..but im no expert
hope someone else will be able to help you a bit more
but he is lovely

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

244 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  23:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure to be honest but thats a nice looking corn! :D

0.0.1 - carolina corn snake
0.0.1 - royal python
0.1.0 - honduran milk snake
1.0.0 - mexican black king snake

Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  11:19:52  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a picture of him flat on a surface would help more lol! Also mayb just before you feed him/her next you could put a pinky next to it to help us judge!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  11:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would say fuzzies judging by that pic and the approx age... if he can handle them the go with fuzzies... if not then go with pinkies
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  14:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys :) He's due a feed today so I will photograph him with a pinky to give some kind of scale (good idea!) I cant get a pic of him on a flat surface as he wont stay there!!! he just keeps slithering back to me and up my arm! bless him! I tell people its becaise he loves me so much, but really its probably due to not liking wide open spaces lol!

Pinkies dont make much of a bulge and last time I fed him I offered 2 and he took them both....I have no experience with little snakes, only adult Australian Pythons (Water, Diamond, Carpet, Black headed and olive)

Thanks for all the comments so far, Im very happy with him, he's beautiful! :)

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  14:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he should deffo be eating 2-3 each feed if not on fuzzies.... (depending on the size of the pinkies, having just taken delivery of some which are a mid-point between the fuzzies i get and the pinkie ive had before...)
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  16:36:13  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's hard to tell from the pic, but looks like he should be getting ready for fuzzies soon. The general fule of thumb is don't feed anything larger than 1.5 times the size of his body at the thickest part. I think I always kept my first couple of babies on pinkies for longer than necessary as they still looked too small to eat anything bigger but you'd be surprised. I reckon if he's taking two-three pinkies happily at each feed move up to fuzzies. Hope that helps

Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  16:38:55  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
PS,not 100% sure but I'd say late 08 hatch, again it's hard to tell from the pic but he def doesn't look much older than a year

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  21:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the help guys! :) I just gave him 2 pinkies which he wolfed down in no time! I think I will buy him some fuzzies nxt time!

Here are some more piccies of him to try to show his size!

This last one he is in a cricket tub and has just eaten 2 pinkies

Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  21:53:43  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww, he's gorgeous! Looks just like one of mine when she was a nipper! lol. Looking at the size in the tub, I'd def say try a fuzzie and see how you get on

Edited by - cherry-milkshake on 07/07/2009 21:55:06
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  22:08:09  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How long is he? My corn is smaller then that I think and already has 2 fuzzies a week!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

87 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  06:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awwwwww!!!!

the amazing colour of the cornsnake, as it glides through the feild, never a mistake
so as not to wake
the hapless prey before it, this may as well roll over and close it's eyes as the silent hunter shall always get his prize.
the forked tounge can smell you mouse,red eyes can see you stir, if she does not wake and run now, that will be the end of her.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  13:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!

He's definitely bigger than ours. Lovely colours.
Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  15:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gotta love pics like this

its always hard to tell age because they grow at diffrent rates, specially when fed on pinkies and shops will feed once a week instead of every 5 days like many here do at home, so thats another factor. but i`d say 6-8 months at best with my limited knowledge

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2009 :  21:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha! that picture is awesome! lol! Thanks for all the help guys :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2009 :  21:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya and welcome to the forum. Lots of help on here. And nice one Solid,LOL.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000