Help Please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nikki77
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  16:56:49  Show Profile  Visit nikki77's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I've just got my new starter kit today and extra probe thermometers and have set it all up ready for my new arrival tommorow.
But I'm having a panic in regards to the temp, I have put the heat mat under one side of the plastic faun and have a thin covering of aspen inside the faun and one thermometer probe on top of this in the hide and then the same thing over on the 'cool side'.
To get my thermostat to even come on I've had to put it to 35 (as far as it goes) then it comes on but the thermometer is never showing above 29 and then the thermostat goes off again and it drops to about 27 before coming back on - is this okay?
Stupid question but how do you know which way up the mat goes, one side has the label and a copper border and the other side is plain black.
Also my 'cool' end is only 26 and that is with the room not being that hot and the window blowing quite a breeze through, I am really worried as that is no kind of heat gradient.
Please give me some advice as I want it all okay by tommorow

Sorry it's a bit long - thanks in advance

0.2.0 Milly & Molly (tortie cats)
0.1.0 Visuki (Amel Corn)

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  17:02:01  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dont trust the numbers on the dail of the stat just go off the reading on a digi thermometer. with this weather you will see the cool end being quite warn but there will be enough diffrence. keep the setup running and tweek it till your snakey gets there. and which way up not sure if it makes much difference really

Edited by - sexychef on 03/07/2009 17:02:42
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  17:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i havent had any problems with it.. normal room temp is fine for the cool end, but is it 35oC or 35oF coz 35oC is VERY warm, should never get that hot should stay around the 29-30mark.. ive been using a digital Thermometer just i dont use a Stat that way i can make sure its not getting too warm and to save myself a feq quid too :p well i was told it isnt an IMPORTANT piece to get as people get them just to be sure... i dont know why it isnt turning on when its over 35.. .weird

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

nikki77
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  17:10:40  Show Profile  Visit nikki77's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, what I am worried about tho is all the posts I've read and what you guys have just said say to ignore the stat reading and go off the thermometer reading, so with that in mind my concern is if putting the stat up as far as it will go is still only giving a thremometer reading of 29 how can I make it any warmer as I cant turn the stat up anymore than it is!!??

Thanks

0.1.0 Visuki (Amel Corn)
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  17:30:20  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how lon have you had it running. do you keep taking the fauns lid off or moving the hides. keep an eye on the temps if they dont increase take the mat back as faulty.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  17:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
put thermometer probe on the BOTTOM of the faun, under the substrate. Put stat probe directly on top of heat mat.

That should sort it out and give more accurate readings.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

nikki77
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  17:41:31  Show Profile  Visit nikki77's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

I've only had it running for about 3 hours and have took the lid off a few times to try to move the probe about (so I'll leave it for a bit now!!)
I have got it under the aspen now so it is on the bottom of the faun - the heat mat doesnt actually touch the bottom of the faun as it has a raised edge so there is prob a few mm in between the mat and bottom of faun, but I have got the stat probe directly on the mat.
I'll keep you posted - thanks for the help. I hope it isnt faulty as got it from 888 reps so would be a right panic to sort a new one by tommorow as there isnt much close to Alton!!

0.1.0 Visuki (Amel Corn)
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  17:44:18  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
try also putting something between the heat mat and the surface it is on. use something like polystyreen or a towel. just help to insulate it

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  20:33:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
*** depends on the type of heat mat***
E-T rainforest ones MUST have a gap underneath for airflow.............. and are only recommended for glass vivs too!

basically set the stat to shat's showing on the therm not the dial

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

101 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  22:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just keep at it
it took me set up 2 days until i was holding good temps

all will be ok

and good luck with new arrival

mat

only the one corn ....... for now ;-)
Go to Top of Page

nikki77
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  23:35:01  Show Profile  Visit nikki77's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

Thanks for all the advice, I've just checked my temps after leaving it alone all night and the hot end is about 29.4 the thermostat doesnt seem to let it drop below 27 but it doesnt get much above 29.5 so I guess that is okay? It is a cobra heat mat for plastic fauns so I think I'm using the right sort.
Will keep you posted if it starts to get weird or I panic again!!
Will post some piccys of her asap

0.1.0 Visuki (Amel Corn)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000