Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  12:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cyd's second clutch and we've been wondering why she's not layed yet.
She decided to lay one of them (which was definitely a slug) in the middle of the viv the other night.

We've given her a warm bath as she seems to be having problems laying them, we're slightly worried she may become egg bound.

Any advice, how long do you wait from worrying about being egg bound to going to the vets? because she's laid one the worry has eased a little, but to be honest we're not sure what to do at the moment.

Here's a pic of the middle of viv egg laying action... sure it's something you don't see every day:

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  13:45:21  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats got to hurt,better off asking matty about this lewy.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  14:46:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
usually 24 hours......
then try a bath to get things moving if you can still feel something. nothing specific to really look out for other than unproductive straining but no physical signs of discomfort....

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  14:46:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh! and congrats too

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Mick
Yearling

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  20:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OUCH!!!
flash backs from the kids being born... lol

1.0.0 Hypo Striped Corn (Mojo)

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  11:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure it hurt Mrs Mick more than it hurt you!!

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  20:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
LOL, I thought that as well Tizzy.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  20:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she doesnt lay them all within the next couple of days I would go to the vets. They cant drain them if you leave it too late because the eggs solidify.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  15:37:24  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Poor Cyd

Me very worried- she's got today and then I'm booking her in

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  15:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really unsure what to do- been doing loads or research on egg binding and half the people say take to vets ASAP, the other half say leave her be as the stress of going to the vets will make her less likely to pass the eggs naturally.

What to do? A bath and massage yesterday nearly gave results as she tried to pass it. I think there is only one stuck in there and I think that it's too late for an injection so it's either aspiration (which sounds scary) or an operation left for the vet to do anyway.

Advice please??? We have also tried feeding her little meals and exercise to strengthen the muscles

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  15:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would personaly say vets asap. When they stop the dont tend to start laying again. I knew Henry was never going to pass her eggs once she had stopped.

Edit - also from the photo the egg looks like a slug (does the photo show its true colour?), which are alot harder to pass then fertile eggs.

Edited by - matty18714 on 07/07/2009 15:51:25
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  16:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She's passed that one now- that came out the other day. It was a slug so believe this other one will be infertile too. She has been trying to pass it and is in her nest box all the time now, so keep hoping she'll pass it naturally. Just heard so many storys saying their snakes died AFTER a trip to the vets through the stress of the procedures so unsure what the best course of action is.

She's definitely trying anyway, that's why I'm a bit reluctant to take her because I know she's having a go and not just reserved to letting it rot inside her

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  16:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats good to hear Have you counted how many she has left?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  16:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just the one as far as I can feel - if there is anymore then they are tiny compaired to that one so she shouldn't have trouble with those once the big one is out.

Some people say that raising the humidity and keeping her in the dark should help her relax, so will try that tonight.

If not- it's vets tomorrow. I know I'm worried about aspirating her, but it's got to be better than a full operation like Henry had to do.
How is she now?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  16:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Humidity and darkness is worth a go. Ands yes, an op is the last option.

Aspirating the eggs is not at all as bad as it sounds, have you seen any pic's of it? Doesnt seem any more stressful on the snake than giving in an injection.

Shes fine now, all the stiches have come out and she has taken 2 small mice.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  16:37:35  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is aspirating for anyone who doesn't know. Only a vet should do it really though.

http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/Photo%20&%20Image%20Stockpile%20-%20CornUtopia/Kathy%20aspirating%20egg%20yolk%20by%20syringe%20-%20CAPTION.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  16:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suppose you're right Matty

Just wish she would do it naturally- she's a big, strong girl so should be able to manage it.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  17:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck to her, it would be good if she could do it alone

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  18:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She nearly passed it again just now in the bath- I was so excited, but them she just got some poo out and gave up.

She's back in the nest box now though

Lewy

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  19:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the exact same feeling How big is the lump in comparison to her tail and vent?

Edit - Bigger or smaller than Henry's?

Edited by - matty18714 on 07/07/2009 19:47:37
Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  20:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A hell of a lot smaller matty! the scales aren't even separated. That's scary!

Lewy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000