New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  21:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As its boiling hot I thought it was best to get some more air flowing through my vivs. This is my attempt at a fan system.

You will need:

~ At least 2 12V 80mm PC fans (ebay)
~ 1 9V battery
~ Insulation tape
~ Knife/scissors
~ Wire strippers (can use a knife if you havent got any)
~ 1 clothes peg
~ Glue
~ Tin foil
~ Extra cable (aprox 5')

Equipment:

I only ended up using 1 peg, 2 fans and 1 battery for my system, but I used more wire than shown. Also, I know nothing about wire, so cant say what I used. I just found a thick cable with about 5 thin coloured wires in it and stripped them out.

1) Strip the ends of the red and black wire on each fan, then do the same on both ends of two lengths of cable. Then join the legths of cable to the first fan. Do this by twisting the wires together and then taping over the joing with the insulation tape.

2) Then do the same with the other fan on the other side of the two lengths of wire but DONT tape over the joint.

3) Take two more lengths of wire about the same length as the first two peices. Cut one of these new peices in half and then strip all the free ends.

After you have done that, joing one of the long peices onto the untaped joint between the first peices of wire and the 2nd fan. Then do the same with one of the short peices of wire on the second joint on the 2nd fan (no easy way to explain this really but its not hard).

Here, green is my short peice and blue is the long peice.

4) Wrap a small peice of tin foil over the free end of the short peice and do the same on the other half of that cable that you cut off (only one end).

Then glue this to the inside of the clothes peg:

This clothes peg now acts as a switch (when the batery is connected). When the peg is closed the current will pass through, if a pecie of paper is put in the beg, it will remain off.

5) Now to fit the battery. Put something in the peg to break the cercuit and make sure you know which end of the wire has to go to which contact on the battery. When you are sure, wrap the wire around the contact and tape it in place.

Now remove the paper from the peg and the fans should work as normal. When making this system, make sure you check the fans run after each step by touching the wires to the battery.

Finished cercuit:

This is it connected over the vents on my royals viv. The fan on the hot side is extracting air (with white sticker visible) and the other is blowing air in:

Tidied the wires up:

Inside view:

Switch and Battery:

Piers brought up a good point that it may not cool the reptile that well because they dont sweat, but I cant see it being very hard to cool the air that is being blown into the viv (by placing cold water or an ice pack by the fan).

Edit - Pfffttt..20 quid!

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productsearchkeywords.php?productsearch=Habistat+Mini+Fan&x=58&y=13

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  22:23:02  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
great idea matty,what was the final price if you dont mind me asking

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  22:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Lee. The fans were just short of £14 deleivered for all 4 on ebay. All the other stuff is cheap and I had it all already. So I guess what I made cost me £7.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

531 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  23:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great idea with the weather being as it is right now

Go to Top of Page

Mick
Yearling

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  09:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had been worrying (unlike me ) about all this extra heat, and I love a recycling project, so I dug out my old twin fan coolin tray from my old laptop, and decided to copy ya matty, plus it came with a nice lil switch

1.0.0 Hypo Striped Corn (Mojo)

Go to Top of Page

Mick
Yearling

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  09:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention, I just used speaker wire to extend my wires, plus mine runs from my comp via a usb port. Glad I built my viv into my comp desk now lol

1.0.0 Hypo Striped Corn (Mojo)

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  23:53:44  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've just done this and attatched it to an ac adapter hooked up to a timer.
Thing is though, my corn seems to be quite restless, and I could swear the temperature has actually gone up at the cool end >.>

Is it possible that the AC part is caused weird vibrations that are annoying the snake?

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Ozzy
0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake - Astra
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Zilly
0.0.1. - Sinaloan's Milksnake, Harley

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  23:58:41  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it was, I just noticed that Astra was more or less freaking out...

Okay, back to the drawing board..

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  00:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've got an old fountain pump that i'm thinking about turning into a water cooling type device for my snakes.
Should work fairly well, but with less vibration. If it's successful i'll do a similar thing as the walkthrough above.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  09:49:56  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That sounds really neat, give us pics when you're done =)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000