New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jelstone26
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  10:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
slinky had a bad shed last night and has retained quite alot but she also ate less than 48 hours ago, what should i do? thanks in advance.

0.1.0 fire corn snake (slinky)
1.0.0 max normal motley corn snake
0.1.0 freya ghost corn snake

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  11:33:30  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
stick a box in there with some moss or a tape tea towel in an leave her to find it an crawl through it. a day or so isnt going to cause any major issues but once the 48 hrs is up get her an an sort anything left

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  13:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Chris said, put in a moist hide filled with damp sphagnum moss ( you can get that in most garden centers, it's used for hanging baskets ). Rinse the moss well, squeeze out as much water as you can, the pop it in a tub ( with an access hole cut in ). You could remove other hides, and put it in warm end, so that Slinky can finish his digesting in there. You can also use a damp kitchen towel.

You might find out that all the bits have fallen off by themselves in the hide. If not, once he's pooped, you could give him a luke warm bath - it will feel cool to you - should be cca 25 - 28 C. I pop mine in RUB with enough water to cover the snake ( but not too deep ), then pop snakey in, put the lid back on, let him soak. Supervise all the time, of course.

Then I let the snake crawl through a towel, and generally, any stuck bits should come off by themselves in the towel. Be careful not to pull any stuck shed too hard, if it is attached fast, you could pull off some of the new skin, too.

There's also a product called Shed easy ( or similar ) that many people swear by, though I never had to resort to that yet, so don't have any experience with that.

Just make sure the tail tip and the eye caps are off, too.

Funny yours has had a bad shed - Twid has just shed this morning ( and he did have a moist hide in there ) - and he had a bad one, for the first time, too. He shed the back 3/4 of the length perfectly, in one piece, but the first 1/4 of him was in 1000 nds tiny pieces. It looked like he'd exploded from his skin. I managed to find the head bit, so I know the eye caps are ok, but the rest of his skin was all over the tank, 3 -4 scales at the time. Had to do a full clean out and bedding change.
He seems to have nothing stuck on him, though.

Hope ours will shed it all by himself, and don't worry too much :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

jelstone26
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  17:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for all the great advice, i have a damp cloth in with her now but if that doesn't work i'm sure one of the other ideas will.

0.1.0 fire corn snake (slinky)
1.0.0 max normal motley corn snake
0.1.0 freya ghost corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Pokeewan
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  20:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bathe Fluffy in a sink and my friend bathes her python in the bath
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic