New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

twistedmonkey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  14:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have purchased a new Viv for my little one last week, I've spent some time getting it ready, sealed the corners with aquarium sealant and sealed the heat matt down (after testing of course )left for 3 days to vent in another room, then I ran the matt for 2 days to take away any residual fumes the matt may cause when heating up the sealant.

Its cleaned and the items you can see inside have been sat in boiling water and sprayed with reptile disenfectant.

I work in the Tv trade so have access to some nice clips for the cables but the jungle vine I was thinking about using the screw in hooks you get. Can anyone shine some light on what you would use to attached these? the clips I have are too small and the 19mm ones I can get the nails are too bit.

The branch you see is one of the bendy ones, I don't really like it but you live and learn I was wondering about a proper wooden branch, I bought the Items from swell and they seem great for deliveries but seeing items online don't give much of an Idea of size, the nearest shop to me is pets at home and they have a small range with some bamboo root which price wise isn't so far off the online for what I can see. What are peoples thoughs on bamboo root and do you know anywhere (apart from the woods) I could get a descent branch which he can climb on?

I still have a small rock which he loves 2 coconut hides and his plant from the old viv which Ill put in also for plenty hiding places.

Ill nip into dunelm to check out the vines too to wrap round the vine

Viv pic below

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  15:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen picture hooks used to pin up the vine, I have mine wedged on a branch and have drilled a small hole into the vine, attached some string and hung it off some hooks I already had in the viv. I do like the bamboo but I though it was a bit pricy at P@H or maybe I am a cheapscape! I have picked up most of my bits of wood from reptile shows so can't really help you there.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Tony1983
Snake Mite

41 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  16:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi There.

I use a large tripod like piece of bamboo root which i got from pets at home a couple of years ago. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion, They are nice and heavy and sturdy meaning you can use them as a focal point in the viv and balance things off them/ on them without them toppling over, they also look decent.

I dont know if it's something you've considered, But i tried it (after finding some for pennies in my local reptile shop), Basically i bought a load of cork log/cork bark and corn tubes. Broke them into random shapes and sizes and propped them up and scattered them around the base of the tank on top of the aspen. It looks awesome and it creates some unique looking very cheap (meaning you can throw them away and replace if pooped on etc) climbing frames and hides.

What I did was buy one large "sheet" of cork bark as a hide, and one 3 foot cork log (hollow) and 2 smaller pieces, for a total of less than £10. I then used the large piece to create a cave by placing one end on the side of my snakes water dish, i then propped the second end over the edge of the bamboo log to raise one end and make a cave effect. Then i draped over the side of the "cave" some plastic trees and vines, next i took one piece of the crushed log and propped it on teh other side of the bamboo making a hide and climb in one, and then dotted the rest of the broken pieces around creating a series of mazes and tunnels and climbing hides. I'll take a few pics and post them below for you to see what you think. My snakes both love it :)

Apologies in advance for the blue light affecting some of the pics but i dont wanna be messing around switching lights on and off atm :)

also, this site is decent :)

http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/vivariumdecor/branchesandlogs

My viv is still very much a work in progress, Am currently working on some ideas for back/side paneling to make it less wooden box like and more habitat like :), but you get the idea of what Im aiming at from these somewhat blue pics ;) - it looks so much better in person though as the camera flash takes away the blue in some pics and hightens in in others making it look rather random :D

https://plus.google.com/photos/103173933347383703190/albums/5955053029591106305?authkey=CMX46sGDka_oVw

T

Go to Top of Page

twistedmonkey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  17:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick replies!

Ill check out some hooks in Homebase tomorrow I never though about putting the hook through the vine or using string, great idea Lupi Lou

Nice pics Tony the Bamboo certainly looks like the idea I have in my head. I was looking for a good background too but the one I liked was out of stock so I'm going to take my time till something comes along that jumps out at me, like yourself its a work in progress and I'm sure things will change many times

Ill and pop into P@H and see the bamboo again tomorrow, it was £24 the last time I looked which is not bad I could save maybe £8 online but by the time I pay carriage its not too much of a difference ill also check out the cork bark at various places as it does look nice and a more realistic environment for the wee man .

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  17:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For corkbark try this site: www.exoticsandtropics.com/cork-bark--per-100g-323-p.asp
hope the link works I've taken it off the faviourites off my phone (not that I have a cork bark obsesion!)
As for ideas for cork bark, heres something I did with mine:
[URL=http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/lupilou/media/temporary-39.jpg.html][/URL]

it serves as 2 hides and a shelf, the only thing is is Jinx is in the middle bit I have to wait for him to come out! Tony your viv looks great, for some insiration have a look here: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26234 and although it's not on our forum it is a great thread on backgrounds: http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/snakes-general/58525-naturalistic-vivaria-snakes-fake-rock-walls-how-why-guide.html

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Tony1983
Snake Mite

41 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  19:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ima order me some more bark! thanks for the link. oh and ima also have to now order one of those bad ass hollow logs too :D
since you seem to have an addiction to the stuff Lupi ;), approx how much does each piece on ur pic weigh? i only ask as they are sold by weight :)

T
Go to Top of Page

twistedmonkey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  20:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links, only problem now is my imagination is running wild, I'll need to try and reign myself in!

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  09:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one piece of cork bark that measures 30cm x20cm and weighs 304g and one of the cork bark tubes is 30cm long and the inner diameter is 7cm that weighs 555g. I did find one long bit at a pet shop which was cut down to make the multi level hides but I can't remeber how much it weighed it cost about £20 though it was about 3ft x 1ftish
edited to add: Twisted my imagination always runs wild, it's unfortunaly down to the o/h to say 'nope that aint going to work' for example my orginal plan had to have cork bark shelfes incorparated into the back ground to give mutiple levels for JInx to climb on. In my head it looks fab but the o/h pointed out that it would be quite difficult to pull that off

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko

Edited by - lupi lou on 09/12/2013 10:02:34
Go to Top of Page

twistedmonkey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  20:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Midas is now in his new home and after taking two pics I'm leaving him to explore and settle in for a week

Popping his head out looks tiny till his body came out

Relaxing drink before exloring!

Still some bits to add, far right corner could do with some foliage and I'll be out at the weekend to get some bamboo root, checked today but what they had was quite poor so ill check the bigger shop on Saturday. Ill pick up some a couple more trailing plants (without metal inside) and pop into Dunelm to see about the ivy to wrap round the vine

Go to Top of Page

rockroyal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  09:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice setup very nice

1.0.0 corn snake
0.1.0 royal python
0.1.0 hognose

Who moved the light at the end of the tunnel
Go to Top of Page

twistedmonkey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2013 :  16:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You

I put in a couple of more vines and and some bark, still on the lookout for some bamboo root, went to 3 stores so far but none are what I'm looking for.

Maybe I'm just too picky

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2013 :  16:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2013 :  09:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice set up there, and Midas looks like he approves :-)

I use branches in mine - they are for free, and you can choose whatever shape, size and thickness you want. I stripped the bark and sapwood from the first one ( was a hell of a job for many days ), then found it was too smooth, and the snake kept slipping of it! Next one, I just scrubbed really well with a very hot water and reptile spray, then baked in the oven a bit - and over a year later, it's still ok.
Another good buy is a Trixie table, gives them an extra shelf. Mine love it. Here are some ideas:

and a long branch, the first one, almost the whole length of the viv , so the photo is in two parts:

I've also wrapped some plastic wine ( aquarium type ) around one of those flexible jungle wines, and just wedged it in Seb's viv, he takes a great pleasure in demolishing it regularly :-). Just some ideas...

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Burnell1541
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2013 :  16:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice setup, want to make a setup once my corn is out the small viv they look so much better :)

1.0.0 Normal corn snake (Draco)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000