Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tony1983
Snake Mite

41 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  19:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I have a question.

As I'm sure some of you know (from my recent posts), I have recently acquired 2 corns around 2 years old (2 months or so ago now). Both snakes are eating fine, pooping and shedding well.

My question is this; Goldie seems to be in love with the hollow log hide I have for them, they both spend a lot of time in there, but the last 2 feeds she's taken into the log.

Both snakes live together and have done for around 12+ months. 13 the other snake is pretty easy to locate under the aspen and pull out for a feed in one of the 2 tubs I use (to feed them separately), but Goldie has been in the log at the time of the last 2 feeds and as a result i have had to bring the full log out and coax her out with the food, which she has actually shot back into the log and ate whilst in her hide.

Ironically she is the more placid of the two who loves been handled. Is this acceptable/normal behavior?

She does come out and slithers around, but if startled she darts back into the log which is centered in the middle of the tank. My tanks are spot on (18 cool end atm, 28 stat regulated warm end) so its not like she's in there due to a temperature issue, more comfort i feel.

I have been toying with the idea of removing this log for a while, as it's a pain to get 13 and Goldie out if they are been stubborn. My idea was to remove that log when they are both out (ive had plenty of chances to do so but they both seem to then go looking for said log and i always buckle and put it back)

Would it be for the best to remove it and replace it with another large piece of domed bark instead? something i can lift off the top of the snakes to make taking them out of the tank for feeds/cleaning?

Apologies for the long windedness of this thread, I hope my point was adequately conveyed :/

T

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  19:53:26  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To me, i think its because they are housed together. Even though they are fed seperatly, she is acting like she is hiding her food from the other snake so that there is no stealing/dominance issues etc.
Just a thought :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

Tony1983
Snake Mite

41 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  20:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She seems to adore that log, partly why i havent removed it. But even when the logs in the tank, and she's out snooping she darts back in there if she catches me seeing her. I cant get her to come out unless she's good and ready, and as far as handling goes. I can only grab her if she's under the aspen. Where as 13 seems more willing to be out and about, Irony is Goldie loves attention once out and 13 is the more skittish of the two :|
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  20:04:13  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well i dont see anything wrong with that, as long as goldie isnt to big for the log as in she is getting stuck, i see no problem. its just the way she is :) No point making her grumpy by forcing her into handling, even if when out she is contented. Its more for you than her.

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

Tony1983
Snake Mite

41 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  20:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well she seems to be very happy/healthy and growing well. Just startles easily i guess. I have read that is quite common in corns. And considering she was in a pet shop for a long while (housed with 13 there also) with brats bashing on the tank etc. It may well take longer for her to settle?
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  20:13:02  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It can go either way. For example my lazarus was in a pet shop for a fair while which i why i think he is always at the front of the glass wanting out as he is an attention whore :L
But like you said she is happy and healthy so i wouldnt worry at all :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  16:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8 always strikes and takes his food into his hide. I know what you mean about convincing them to come out off the log hides, Jinx loves his log hide and the only time he isn't in his is when he's out trashing his viv! If they feel secure in their log hide I would leave it in.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  17:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of mine spends most of his time in his log apart from after feeding and when he's in shed mode I just tend to leave him get on with it and he comes out when he wants to.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000