New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2013 :  12:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had quite a nice moment - with Bazilishka. She's 3, but still very shy and nervous. Last handling session, several days ago, didn't go very well- she was very nervous and scared of everything, so I kept it as short and as quiet as possible.

Took her out today - in her cave, which she refused to leave. I gently persuaded her out after a while. She had a short handling session ( mainly on my lap ) - and she was much calmer than last time.

After while, she crawled back to her cave, so I went to put her back in the viv - and as I put her in, she suddenly decided I wasn't such a big, scary monster, after all. She puled her head out of the cave, and laid it on my hand. Voluntarily. And then, even better, she stretched right across my hand, and took a long drink from her water bowl, right there laid across my hand.

So - I was wondering - what are your " nice moments", that make the snake keeping worthwhile?

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2013 :  13:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have many moments that make snake keeping worth while, but I'll share a recent one.

I purchased the little hypo pewter hatchling about which I also posted on the photo section (I'm still trying to find a fitting name for him). I was told by the seller that he'd been kept in a chinese food container without any sort of hide, only a water bowl. When I put him into his currently little viv with multiple hides and plants, I expected him to hide away and be scared of everything that was new. Instead, he started exploring straight away, climbing over the plants and trying to dig through the substrate. He still climbs around a lot every single day (even after feeding!) and he's such a joy to watch. I'm very happy that I could provide him with a home that he seems to enjoy :)

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2013 :  14:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it when I knock on Rubi's tank and she pops her head out :) simole I know but the other two are ignorant so she makes me feel wanted hahaha

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2013 :  15:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww that's lovely Razee :D - maybe the mistake you are making is that the handling sessions are too short? So she doesn't get the cahnce to settle properly? I'm sure you know what you are doing though so it's probably not that at all!

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2013 :  17:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to have snakes to keep my staffy Lyla happy lol

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2013 :  19:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just love the different attitudes of my snakes and how they are so friendly in different ways

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2013 :  23:43:43  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What makes not just snake, but reptile keeping in general worth while for me is how interesting the different species are. How every induvidual has their own attitude.
The moments where my snakes just curl up with me and sit still, all nice and calm. That you know they feel secure with you in your care.
Keeping something that looks so beautiful is a bonus.
My favourite thing is watching them eat, i find it fascinating.

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2013 :  11:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice ones :-)

Smart bunny, I think it's just Baz, and the way she is. I have tried regular handling in the past,tried not handling for a while -but she stays the same. She was always like this, even as a hatchie, the only one that the shop keeper couldn't catch easily. She is the only one of my snakes that I'm sure would survive in the wild ( if she was in US, that is :-) )
When handled, her first instinct is to find a hiding place. If I take her out in the garden, she immediately does her best to conceal herself. She stalks and attacks every mouse she gets, and the bite is aimed right behind the head, she never misses, and always constricts.

Twiddler's way too laid back and friendly, he would be eaten by the first predator he'd meet, and Seb is way too bolshy, he'd try to attack the first predator he'd meet ( and get eaten). Both Seb And Twid are happy to rest in the open sometimes, whilst Baz always hides.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2013 :  22:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is really nervous so it's great when she does relax during handling...normally by disappearing up a sleave or into my hood.

0.1.0 CB 11Amel Corn "Fuzzy"
0.1.0 CB14 Hypo Jungle Boa "Fizzy"
Pair of Woma Pythons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000