Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lee
Yearling

United Kingdom
522 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  11:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just been in my local one, it's a farm shop type set up with a very large aquarium section and a small reptile section.
Just looking as you do to see whats what. I noticed all the older corns, 3 of them, and a rat snake where all in their water bowls. The rat snake is in blue. Now I know it's a hot day but I had a look at the thermometers and they were at 40-42c! far too hot, the vivs have lights, basking spots and heat mats. Corns don't need the basking spot or the light and seeing as it's 27c here it's warm enough anyway.
No wonder they are in their water bowls. The Royals and Dragons were all at about 36c.
I went to the counter for some pinkies and said to the girl that all the corn tanks are too hot. 'Yes' she said 'we know, we are only keeping the lights on for a few hours a day'. I said they need to be cooler and around 28 at most, but just got ignored really and she carried on counting pinkies.
These poor things don't need all that heat, the basking lights defo need to be off and just the strip light if anything.
Rant over but I'm still annoyed!

1.2.4 Corn Snakes - Carolina, 2 x Bloodred het Lavender, Amel, Snow, Anery and Carolina.
0.0.1 Cali King - Ziggy - escaped!!
RIP Princess x

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  11:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not just that they don't 'need' the heat - it's more the fact that it's so dangerous and could cause irreparable neurological damage

I would probably consider reporting them to be honest, it's not just uncomfortable for them, it's downright dangerous, poor things :(

Go to Top of Page

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  11:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, poor toasty snakeys, I get so upset when people are oblivious or just plain don't care about an animal's health or comfort and It's always distressing seeing a pet shop that doesn't care for their animals properly. There's one near where I work where the cages always look a little grubby and unclean, and their snakes are skinny and have no hides; they're forced to just lie out in the open. Also they keep a corn snake in with what I know believe to be a Brooks king snake, so I wouldn't be surprised if the poor corn gets eaten :(

I've only been in their twice, first time out of curiosity and the second time to get pics of the aforementioned mystery-probably-king snake, and never bought anything. The worse bit is their staff just won't listen to polite advice/criticism :(

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)

Edited by - Coal on 17/07/2013 12:04:53
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  14:20:33  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Notify the authority's I would anyway.

edited to be more appropriate for a family forum - gmac
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  15:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Report it. Makes me sick. At least your local pet shop is using thermometers, the ones by me are using one stat to loads of tanks for different species and have no thermometer..

Edited by - Welshlamb on 17/07/2013 15:06:43
Go to Top of Page

Boomslang
Hatchling

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  16:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have thermometers!!!!! Not many even bother with that.Alot of places i go to,the vivs in normal/cold weather can't be at the right temps.uromastyxs with a tiny 50w heat bulb 2 foot of the ground,chameleons in super hot temps,they can't escape from.

Could go on all day :) If i'm looking to buy something,and it's kept poorly or in totally the wrong way.I avoid buying anything from said shop.

Seems to me alot of places sell one animal,then just throw something else in the empty viv.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
2.1.0 pygmy chameleons
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  16:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup.. RSPCA FTW!

and feel free to ask for the manager and tell him...

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  17:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would report them after they ignored you

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  17:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be that the girl has already acknowledged the problem with her superiors and isn't allowed to talk about it? It may be she's being told what to do.. Which is why she may have been frosty. Or it could be that she just doesnt care.. ;)

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  18:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disgusting Poor snakes. Report it and hopefully that will force them to do something about it.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  18:35:46  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You're telling me... Had to take my cat, Tiger, to the vets inside Pets At Home to have him castrated and while I was waiting went to look around. Saw the corns in this state All there boxes were condensating inside...

Sorry for the bad picture, was taken on my phone. It's a Ghost Corn they had in but all of the corns(7 Carolina's and an Amel) were like this as well...

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
1.0 Caramel Stripe het Amel - Vladimir.
0.1 Normal het Amel, Caramel, Hypo - Amara.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
1.0 Masque Anery het Amel, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, lavender, Stripe - Orion.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
1.0 Yellow Rat Snake - Leviathan(Levi)
Western Hognoses
1.0 Normal 50% poss het Frosted(Dutch Hypo, Caramel) - Thorne.
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
1.0 Anaconda het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Titan.
0.1 Normal het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Nyx.
R.I.P Pandora & Sakana, entwined in my heart forever my darlings.

Edited by - AcidicAngel on 17/07/2013 18:53:48
Go to Top of Page

Boomslang
Hatchling

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  20:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oakleyman18

It may be that the girl has already acknowledged the problem with her superiors and isn't allowed to talk about it? It may be she's being told what to do.. Which is why she may have been frosty. Or it could be that she just doesnt care.. ;)

Yeah maybe the owner won't let her/anyone spend the time fixing the problems.Won't invest money into new equipment,Or its been brought up and the owner don't care.

I've worked in places,where they've had me on the till all day,But the shelves were empty.Said we should take afew people of the tills,to fill the shelves and been told to shut up etc.

So the blame is on the owner/manager in this case,as they should be checking the store etc :)

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
2.1.0 pygmy chameleons
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  20:47:31  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pets at home near where i live, have 3 carolinas, three ghosts, an amel, 2 milks aswell.
When i saw the pic of the ghost i was worried it was the shop near me, i would have gone down and said something!
I seriously HATE this kind of 'care' in pet shops. Makes you want to take them all home just so you know they are properly cared for!

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  21:11:36  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well it didn't help that I mentioned it to a woman who worked there and she went "They are rainforest snakes, they live in really humid places in the wild so they need to be like that or they'll die." and I was shocked!

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.

Edited by - AcidicAngel on 17/07/2013 21:11:52
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  21:18:41  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What the hell is wrong with these people D:

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  21:55:20  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScaryVonHayleystine

What the hell is wrong with these people D:

I don't know but because having a high humidity constantly can cause respiratory infection - I WILL be notifying first the manager and if he says the same as the worker, the RSPCA or similar. It's dangerous to have them at such high humidity constantly like that and I bet the temps were up high, I couldn't see a stat on any of the vivs and the wires were pretty visible...
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  22:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel
I WILL be notifying first the manager and if he says the same as the worker, the RSPCA or similar.

Imo do it differently.. Call the RSPCA first, make your report... then tell the manager...

quote:
O hi.. I reported your BS husbandry to the RSPCA, I'll be back next week to monitor your compliance

Then hand him a care guide, preferably one that is available for sale in his shop.

Be sure to record whatever you can legally, not only will it assist in the RSPCA's investigation but it will also likely be hilarious...

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  22:35:45  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thorne Walker

quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel
I WILL be notifying first the manager and if he says the same as the worker, the RSPCA or similar.

Imo do it differently.. Call the RSPCA first, make your report... then tell the manager...

quote:
O hi.. I reported your BS husbandry to the RSPCA, I'll be back next week to monitor your compliance

Then hand him a care guide, preferably one that is available for sale in his shop.

Be sure to record whatever you can legally, not only will it assist in the RSPCA's investigation but it will also likely be hilarious...

Haha! I might actually say that line Thanks for that!

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  23:20:04  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a plan folks! aha

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Yearling

United Kingdom
522 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2013 :  09:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well so far no luck with the RSPCA, I've tried numerous times to call but I'm on constant hold for over 10 minutes at a time. I've just tried again (9.30am) and it's still saying call back later or wait on hold for a considerable amount of time! They are obviously swamped with calls probably because of the hot weather. I'll keep trying!

1.2.4 Corn Snakes - Carolina, 2 x Bloodred het Lavender, Amel, Snow, Anery and Carolina.
0.0.1 Cali King - Ziggy - escaped!!
RIP Princess x
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2013 :  11:16:00  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lee

well so far no luck with the RSPCA, I've tried numerous times to call but I'm on constant hold for over 10 minutes at a time. I've just tried again (9.30am) and it's still saying call back later or wait on hold for a considerable amount of time! They are obviously swamped with calls probably because of the hot weather. I'll keep trying!

I'll be going back down on Friday with my cat(Post-Op Check-Up) and my camera and while waiting for him will get some better pictures.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000