keeping 2 in same viv?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

greenow
Egg

51 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  12:44:11  Show Profile
What's your thoughts on keeping 2 corns in the same viv as I'm thinking of getting a 2nd corn soon and currently have 1 in a 3.5ft viv

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  13:01:42  Show Profile
Although some people viv-share successfully, it is generally considered a inadvisable. Where there are two snakes in the same viv there will always be favourite spots that cannot be occupied by both snakes at the same time, and whichever one is left out will likely suffer stress. Furthermore although corns are rarely cannibalistic, there have been cases where one has eaten the other. Aggression is always a possibility, especially during the mating season if two males are kept together, and keeping a male and a female together is a bad idea for obvious reasons (unless you're specifically trying to breed, of course). Keeping two snakes together also means that feeding in the viv is difficult as there's always the chance of one eating twice as much as it's supposed to and the other getting nothing, so tub-feeding becomes the only real way to do things. Finally, there is always the possibility of pathogens passing from one snake to another and hence causing disease. This is particularly important when you first get the new snake - really a newcomer should be kept in a separate room for the first three months or so regardless of whether you intend to viv-share later.

All of that having been said, some people do manage it and have no problems. Just remember that the snakes neither need nor enjoy the company of other snakes, even if they don't actively dislike it, so there's no real need to viv-share.

Hope this helps, I'm not trying to say you absolutely must not put two snakes in the same viv - whatever you decide to do is up to you, I'm just giving you (what I believe to be) the facts :)

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)

Edited by - Coal on 10/07/2013 13:03:07
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  13:59:20  Show Profile
Have a look in General keeping information - stickies - Advice on sharing a viv - very, very long debate, many opinions. Make yourself a cuppa, settle down, and read :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Yearling

United Kingdom
522 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  15:54:33  Show Profile
I have 2 corns sharing, they are 3 months old and hatched together, it's only short term but they have been together since birth. They are fed out of the viv so I know that's fine, there are 2 hides each (but they usually end up all coiled together in one!)and they seem fine. I would not put two different size/age corns together, esp ones that had previously been kept alone, def not two mature males and not two different species. I know people who keep corns together in large vivs with no problems but they certainly don't need the company.
If you want one viv and two snakes you can always get the largest viv and split it in two by putting a partition down the middle (one glass door each), heat mat half in each side etc.

1.2.4 Corn Snakes - Carolina, 2 x Bloodred het Lavender, Amel, Snow, Anery and Carolina.
0.0.1 Cali King - Ziggy - escaped!!
RIP Princess x
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  18:53:29  Show Profile
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

we dont need anymore co hab threads, 1 is plenty can we keep all cohab discussions in the thread above please.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000