New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carl
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  14:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello guys,hope everyone is well. Had my 4 year old corn STANLEY for nearly 3 weeks from a local pet store. He is aggressive whenever I attempt to touch or lift him and I have been tagged a couple of times.The tags are a bit of a shock haha but I love him to bits. Any advice please folks. Cheers Carl

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  15:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's being defensive, not aggressive :) leave him to settle for a week (no handling or feeding) and just spot clean and change water. Carry a sock around with you for a day and leave it in his viv, this lets him get used to your scent. Because he is older it can take a bit of time for him to get used to you! Once the week is over just put your hand in and let him investigate, do this a few times. Once he realuses you're not a threat you should be able to pick him up, but you need to be confident :) little and often! Don't handle for the 48h after feeding though!

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Go to Top of Page

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  16:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, has he been doing this ever since you got him or did it start sometime after? I only ask because if there's something not quite right in his viv (like the temps being too hot or cold, etc.) his behaviour might be due to stress.

As Serena said though, it's more likely that he is still settling into his new home; give him some space for a while and try to resist handling him (I know it's hard lol) as if you keep handling him before he has settled he may start to see it as a negative thing and only get more defensive as time goes on as he tries to dissuade you from picking him up.

Hope this helps, best of luck, and congratulations on your new snake :)

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)
Go to Top of Page

carl
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  16:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been going on since i got him. He is in a 4/2ft viv. hot end 28.9 cool end 25.6 He is eating well and spends alot of time exploring his Viv. Many thanks for the advice guys.
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  19:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try sitting with your hand in his viv not touching him but just keeping still you should find his inquisitiveness will get the better of him and he will get used to your hand and not see it as a threat.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  21:40:27  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with what everyone else has said. Just remember everything takes time. Give the time..some time aha

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000