The right reason?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  21:24:43  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sooo,who can tell me the 'right reason'to breed their corn snakes?
as so many end up rescues is there really any justification to breed them?
there are plenty of 'big guns' breeders out there-providing a rainbow of variety of morphs, so why?

Lee
Yearling

United Kingdom
522 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  22:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see where you are coming from but I think it's such a wonderful thing to see happening and something I would like to do one day for the experience. I suppose that's the wrong reason and probably quite selfish of me. I do however make sure any snakes I sell are going to a good home with the correct setup.

1.2.4 Corn Snakes - Carolina, 2 x Bloodred het Lavender, Amel, Snow, Anery and Carolina.
0.0.1 Cali King - Ziggy - escaped!!
RIP Princess x
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2013 :  00:12:58  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just going to throw this out there and I am sure it won't be popular with some but if you do want the experience of breeding but you are worried about where the offspring will end up or becoming rescues then another option maybe to find somebody who has a snake eating snake and sell the hatchies off as feeders to them? Before people start jumping up and down, is it any different to breeding mice or rats for snake food?

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2013 :  00:26:46  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

Just going to throw this out there and I am sure it won't be popular with some but if you do want the experience of breeding but you are worried about where the offspring will end up or becoming rescues then another option maybe to find somebody who has a snake eating snake and sell the hatchies off as feeders to them? Before people start jumping up and down, is it any different to breeding mice or rats for snake food?

You know I actually could agree with this as I don't believe it is any different to breeding mice or rats. My only problem would be, I like snakes.... I don't like mice or rats... Well, I can get on with mice but not rats XD

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
1.0 Caramel Stripe het Amel - Vladimir.
0.1 Normal het Amel, Caramel, Hypo - Amara.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
1.0 Masque Anery het Amel, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, lavender, Stripe - Orion.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
1.0 Yellow Rat Snake - Leviathan(Levi)
Western Hognoses
1.0 Normal 50% poss het Frosted(Dutch Hypo, Caramel) - Thorne.
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
1.0 Anaconda het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Titan.
0.1 Normal het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Nyx.
R.I.P Pandora & Sakana, entwined in my heart forever my darlings.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  00:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm totally with you Meg in asking why people do it when there are 'proper' breeders supplying the market with the 'upper-end' morphs and the rest of the market is flooded with the 'more normal' morphs from people breeding for the sake of it .

I do take on board your reasoning Lee and know lots of people want to breed 'for the experience'....but for me the risk to the female, with the major drain on her and the dangers of her becoming egg-bound, finding a market and ensuring the hatchlings go to owners who know what they're doing which you just can't guarantee, the financial and time implications of caring for the hatchlings especially if you struggle to sell them, the stress with getting it all right so the hatchlings are born healthy and then dealing with some that might not feed, etc means its just not worth it.

But that's just me .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  13:00:54  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I'm totally with you Meg in asking why people do it when there are 'proper' breeders supplying the market with the 'upper-end' morphs and the rest of the market is flooded with the 'more normal' morphs from people breeding for the sake of it .

I do take on board your reasoning Lee and know lots of people want to breed 'for the experience'....but for me the risk to the female, with the major drain on her and the dangers of her becoming egg-bound, finding a market and ensuring the hatchlings go to owners who know what they're doing which you just can't guarantee, the financial and time implications of caring for the hatchlings especially if you struggle to sell them, the stress with getting it all right so the hatchlings are born healthy and then dealing with some that might not feed, etc means its just not worth it.

But that's just me .

Xxx

Ditto! you also don't have to pay a mint to get a nice/high end snake;it never ceases to amaze me just what people will discard for next to nothing.
I paid for a Pinky/ghost and three hoggies and got the remainder of the collection as well-some beautiful some ugly/strange
I will take my time re homing those that we can't keep and enjoy them whilst they are with us
Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  14:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started breeding when I knew I could re-home all the little ones (there was a high demand for even normal hatchies on a dutch website). Other than that, I absolutely love the process and I love the fact that my wonderful snakes will keep on living through their hatchlings, in a small way :). I also believe it's part of nature for them to breed. That being said, yes, there are risks, and I will try to limit those as much as possible by only breeding when I'm confident that they are big and strong enough. Of course that is no guarantee - Saphira had a prolapse this year and needed surgery. Most of my reasons are selfish and I know it... But I love it too much to stop it ^^.

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000