So Worried about Poor Georgey HELP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2013 :  21:12:21  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Georgey has now missed 3 feeds,his mind is TOTALLY focused on the ladies.All evening /night he roams about nosing the glass and trying to get out.
I can't handle him without him trying to lock on to my hand or wrist-that previously injured tail has a powerful grip and a couple of times he's left erm,'presents'.
I'm starting to think about maybe putting him together with one of the girls-really don't know;
if the time is o.k. or even how to go about this,all you folks seem to breed left right and centre-but I worry,help please

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2013 :  21:23:57  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ive never bred, but just wanted to say good luck in the venture you decide :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2013 :  21:30:50  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Even if you put him with a female it won't stop his urges....might even make him worse!
Breeding can stress the female too, especially for the first time or two.

It's lovely to have eggs and the cute little hatchlings but what will you do with them if you can't find homes for them, would you be prepared to keep them?

It's something to consider seriously before you embark on the breeding mission. However it's very rewarding too.

If you do decide to go ahead let us know and we can point you in the right direction....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2013 :  21:35:45  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Missing 3 feeds is nothing for a snake to miss, don't worry about that. As to whether you put him with one of the ladies or not, are they ready for breeding, do you want to have hatchies, can you afford to incubate them and feed them all once hatched, have you got space for 20 odd little worms, can you house them indefinitely if you can't sell them? These would be some of the questions (there are more) I would be asking myself before I put the male and female together, the hornyness will pass given time so if you don't want the hatchies for any reason then just wait it out.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2013 :  22:49:02  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think that sooner or later we would love to raise some wee snakeys,and I don't think that I could say with any more certainty than anyone else that I could re-home them!
I do know that so many snakeys end up unwanted-thats how we got Georgey,Sunny,Thumper,Fluffy and Popup.
I guess George is such a super snakey in every way we would just love more like him!
It does seem like a nerve wracking journey,like breeding any animal:
When we had mastiffs I would be more knackered than the mum-delivering the babies,getting them breathing,latching them on,keeping them warm away from mum whilst she dropped the next pup,checking placenta's making sure mum didn't eat too many,keeping mum hydrated with honey water-that was the easy bit!I would also sleep on the floor in the box with mum and babies-an absolute necessary if you don't want squashed babies .Then after about 14-18 days mum stops cleaning up after them and I had 12 poops 5 or 6 times a day to deal with
Sorry folks got a bit carried away-god I miss all of that!!Needless to say we didn't breed many;you have to be prepared for 'Returns' usually these would be Hooligan adolescent males with no training and less manners
Sorry I'm doing it again-Am I running the risk of being moved to off corn??
Plenty to think about...
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  10:25:15  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My male went 19 weeks without eating this year what with that and the constant attempts at breaking out and trashing his viv each night and to make matters worse then the female started and while it can be stressful at the time for both them and you once they come out the other side it'll be like it never happened. Putting your male and female together now will not solve the problem it will just give you a whole lot more to worry about, if you are not fully prepared for the arrival of eggs/babies and all that breeding entails I'd hang on a bit and get everything in place first.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  11:27:01  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well mjpeters you just transported me back to my 'puppy' days....like you I do miss those wonderful times!
There are lots of guides to breeding on the internet which you should read and learn as much as possible. We have a section on our caresheet, via the homepage. I'm sure you know you'll come up with conflicting ideas but you're clever enough to sift out the rubbish! If you find anything you're not sure about then ask, somebody is sure to be around to help.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  12:09:45  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
3 weeks is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Been through a 17 week stint with no adverse effects. Breeding just for the sake of satisfying the urges is the wrong reason to actually do it. The fasting season is just part of nature and absolutely nothing you do will 'cure' it whether you offer a mate, take it to McDonalds or try a prime fillet steak you will still have the angst of the non-feeding period.

In the meantime, don't even bother to offer a feed while he's still zooming around for the next month. Yes, that will be 7 weeks but don't worry. Offer a small mouse and if he still won't take it then try fortnightly after that. No point wasting good food.

Once you have experienced a couple of seasons you will believe.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  12:31:49  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
3 weeks really is nothing. My girl, Sakana, went through a whole 9 weeks refusing every feed possible last year. Nothing as impressive as 17 weeks like Auld Baldy though Luckily mine don't seem to do the whole "I'm not interested in food, I want my mate!" thing in breeding season. Cereus eats like a trooper and although Sakana needs a little more persuasion she does still eat All you can do is just keep an eye on him. If his weight starts to rapidly drop then you can start worrying but it is normal for them to go through a fast in breeding season.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
1.0 Caramel Stripe het Amel - Vladimir.
0.1 Normal het Amel, Caramel, Hypo - Amara.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
1.0 Masque Anery het Amel, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, lavender, Stripe - Orion.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
1.0 Yellow Rat Snake - Leviathan(Levi)
Western Hognoses
1.0 Normal 50% poss het Frosted(Dutch Hypo, Caramel) - Thorne.
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
1.0 Anaconda het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Titan.
0.1 Normal het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Nyx.
R.I.P Pandora & Sakana, entwined in my heart forever my darlings.
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  13:49:42  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Dan Cross's Plisskin holds the forum record of 20 weeks.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  21:04:41  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

3 weeks is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Been through a 17 week stint with no adverse effects. Breeding just for the sake of satisfying the urges is the wrong reason to actually do it. The fasting season is just part of nature and absolutely nothing you do will 'cure' it whether you offer a mate, take it to McDonalds or try a prime fillet steak you will still have the angst of the non-feeding period.

In the meantime, don't even bother to offer a feed while he's still zooming around for the next month. Yes, that will be 7 weeks but don't worry. Offer a small mouse and if he still won't take it then try fortnightly after that. No point wasting good food.

Once you have experienced a couple of seasons you will believe.

L.M.A.O.C I wonder how many people are here just because of those URGES I should have gone to Mc D's-or had steak-I've got 5 kids!or maybe I should have sent O.H. to Mc D's?
I think the answer may have not been too favourable
Sage advice though,for now the wee man will have to make do with expressing himself whilst being handled-that sounds soo wrong
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  21:18:18  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Well mjpeters you just transported me back to my 'puppy' days....like you I do miss those wonderful times!
There are lots of guides to breeding on the internet which you should read and learn as much as possible. We have a section on our caresheet, via the homepage. I'm sure you know you'll come up with conflicting ideas but you're clever enough to sift out the rubbish! If you find anything you're not sure about then ask, somebody is sure to be around to help.

Puppy daze!Heartbreaking when they go-more so if they have issues;I nursed a mastiff pup that I eventually I had to euthanize as it turned out to have major neurological issues,dear sweet boy that would have ended up completely incapable of moving
Then there was the returning hooli-he ended up staying and NEVER put a foot wrong for me-the kids thought he made a great sofa/lounger
Again more sage advice,its really good to know all you guys are there
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  00:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just given you my opinion on breeding in your other thread....although I wouldn't mind a Georgey for myself .

I've had this discussion with my OH, about whether breeding Kellog would calm him down, and my answer was the same as Herriotfan's....I don't think it would make any difference and you then have to deal with everything Donnie listed.

As Auld Baldy has said, 3 weeks is nothing and they are built to go for very long periods without food. I think we are the ones who suffer the most, worrying because they're not eating and having to watch their fruitless efforts to escape. But you know it's natural and you know it will come to an end....you just have to wait it out.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Lee
Yearling

United Kingdom
522 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  11:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did try putting something out of the females viv into the males and it seemed to calm him a little as he just sat there smelling it all the time. It didn't work 100% as he still didn't eat and constantly tried to escape.

1.2.4 Corn Snakes - Carolina, 2 x Bloodred het Lavender, Amel, Snow, Anery and Carolina.
0.0.1 Cali King - Ziggy - escaped!!
RIP Princess x
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  13:07:32  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Like the idea of giving him a ladies hide/bit of viv furnitureI may play musical snakeys and swap him over into a girlies house-hopefully that may do the trick
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  14:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm up to 13 weeks so far with Plissken not feeding. Last year it was early august before he fed again...

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  21:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha.. Kitty gave it up this year for 9 weeks.. I put the little git on a scale when I started to get worried and he was 3g heavier then his 'pre-season' weigh in...

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000