Very active after being fed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hayleylsl
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2013 :  21:36:49  Show Profile  Click to see hayleylsl's MSN Messenger address  Send hayleylsl a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, another question sorry!

My Boris is always very active after being fed- exploring his tank, climbing over the bark and his hides and nosing at the roof of his tank. I thought that snakes generally were a lot less active as they digest their food- I did read that they sometimes look around looking for warmth but one end of his tank is 30c and the other 21c but he is still mooching around his tank. He is not handled once he has been fed and he isn't fed in his tank but in a large plastic box. He has a bump in him after feeding and I'm pretty sure I'm feeding him the right size prey but could he be looking for something else to eat even if he doesn't need it?

He's more active after being fed then he is most of the time! He's very laid back and has never even attempted to strike at me or anyone in the time I have had him- he is very interested in the living room when he is out and he does explore his tank, mainly in the evenings.

1.0.0 CB 12 Amel Motley- Boris

0.2.0 cats Grizabella and Jennyanydots

Foster cat: Jasper who has a healing broken pelvis

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2013 :  21:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes are greedy. My Luna patrols her tank for about half an hour after feeding, looking for more, before curling up to digest :p

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2013 :  22:13:39  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yup,I have a couple that are always looking for that extra mouse too
Go to Top of Page

hayleylsl
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2013 :  22:33:49  Show Profile  Click to see hayleylsl's MSN Messenger address  Send hayleylsl a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
He's stopped now and is now curling up in the warm side of the tank...greedy boy!

Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2013 :  22:38:07  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mo used to be fairly active after feeds. Think it just gets the hunting instincts going as they are opportunistic eaters and just want to find more.

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  20:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never apologise for asking questions Hayley !!!

Remember that corns are opportunistic feeders and some will eat as much as you offer them, which can be detrimental to their health. So although Boris was behaving as though he wanted more food it may be that he's just being greedy....or that he's still in that 'feeding mode', which is why he then calmed down after a bit.

The best indicator as to whether he needs more food is whether there is a bump after he's eaten, which you say he does. As long as he's eating, drinking, pooing and putting on weight then he's fine . This thread will give you some more tips on feeding - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27833

One small point, the warm end of his tank it just a tiny bit high, you don't want it getting much about 29oC. How are you measuring it and is the heatmat controlled by a thermostat?

It's lovely hearing how active he is, it shows how confident and settled he is....which, in turn, shows how well you're doing .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

hayleylsl
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  21:52:58  Show Profile  Click to see hayleylsl's MSN Messenger address  Send hayleylsl a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks :-) The heatmat is thermostatically controlled and the warm side is now 28- I have a thermometer each side of the tank in the warm part and the cool part.

He does have a bump after eating, and I wont be giving him any extra because he looks hungry!

Another question....Boris doesn't poo in his tank- he poo's when he is out of the tank usually on the carpet which isn't really an issue but I wondered why- I wouldn't want to toilet in my living space so is it the same with snakes? His waste looks completely normal (I googled quite a few sites to check!) and it doesn't bother me cleaning it up (I work with cats so spend quite a bit of time cleaning mess up!) but again I am curious.

Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  21:14:44  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
tends for us too that during excersize, it gets the bowels moving.

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  11:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you've got your set-up just right .

ScaryvonHayley is right, any sort of activity encourages snakes to open their bowels, it's why so many people get pooed on . I actually prefer it that way as it keeps their vivs cleaner. You'll soon learn the signs of when Boris is going to go. He'll go very still and his tail will lift up at an angle. You can then either scoop him up and put him back in his tank or grab some kitchen roll, which I always have within reach, and slide it under his tail ready to 'catch' what comes out. Good luck !

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

yalovit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  15:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like kellog said don't apologise,youve got to learn.ill always post if im worried.ive done loads of research before I got mine,but im stil learning.good luck

female corn mist.staffy cross English bull Kelsey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000