New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yalovit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  21:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why does my snake go like the clappers back into her hide when I catch her shedding.she does this when shes not shedding.I never see her out as she is so shy.will she ever feel confident enough to come out when im about.ive had her for 3 months now and handle her every day apart from when shes been fed.

female corn mist.staffy cross English bull Kelsey

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  22:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of snakes seem to be shy about shedding. I've only managed to catch one of mine in the act twice (the same snake) and didn't get to see the whole thing either time. I've tried to sit and watch them so many times but they're crafty, they wait until I'm not looking.

Corn snakes in general do spend the majority of their time in their hides I'm afraid. My corns seem to be more active at dawn and dusk and sometimes I will catch them out and about if I'm being quiet and the lights are dim

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

yalovit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  22:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks moppet.shes at it as we speak crafty cow so ill leave her for an hour with the lights off,then I should find a nice fresh shed.then I will measure it to see how much shes grown since the last shed.she thinks I don't know what shes doing but ive got her card marked lol

Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  08:49:52  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How old is your little one?I've found that bubbas are much quicker/skittish than older snakes;they are at natures 'business end'of the food chain
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  09:06:21  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If she's only been with you three months I'm not surprised, it's still very early days in a new home.
It can take some snakes a long time to settle in and feel at ease. It is completely normal for them to hide away. Give her plenty of time and be patient with her....you will reap the rewards.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  10:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm half looking forward to, half dreading my snake's first shed with me, though I'm sure no matter how worked up about it I get he's still going to do it in his hide one night and I won't know anything about it 'til I check him in the morning, see the skin and realise I've missed the whole event :P

As others have said though, I'm sure you're lovely snakey will get more comfortable with you in time, it must be a scary experience for them, going to a new home, so I guess it's not surprising that some of them stay shy for a while :)

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)
Go to Top of Page

yalovit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  14:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shes about 8 months old now and im starting to catch her with her head poking out her hide (cute).shed went well and I measured her at 22 inches,not sure how accurate that is cuz the skin stretches a bit,but shes definitely growing well from the little worm I got from the shop.

Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  21:59:34  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im hoping my Mos next shed is a better one, first shed with myself needed to be assisted :/

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  08:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad she had a good shed Jason . You're right about the shed stretching. For a very approximate length you need to take away 10% to allow for it. If you want a more accurate length you can use the Snake Measurer . There is also a thread on the best way to use it.

As others have said you've only had her for a short period of time so she's still getting used to you. Put yourself in her scales....how would you feel with a giant hand coming towards you ?? If you look in the Handling tips there is a method called 'patting down' I think. It may be worth trying it with her.

I only see mine normally when I get them out to handle them or feed them, so don't be surprised if she spends most of her time hiding away. She'll be coming out and having fun when you're fast asleep .

I know what you mean about half dreading Lovecraft's first shed Coal, I felt exactly the same with mine. There is no reason he shouldn't shed absolutely fine ....but that's not going to stop you worrying !

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000