New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  15:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To cut a long story short, when I got Cathy about three and a half months ago, she was a very fussy feeder. I found out after I had got her she was a known regurger and finally found a way for her to actually eat. I had to put the pinkies on her hide (she won't feed in a RUB) and cover the vivarium with a towel as she was very secretive about it all.

This video is from about a couple of weeks ago. She missed her feed due to being in shed on her normal day, but shed two days later, so I left her to a little rest and then fed her that evening. She does now take off the tongs too which is fantastic.

If you want to watch, please don't bother with the sound on as all you can hear is the fan in my room and the sound of the camera zooming in and out.

You will also have to excuse the poor quality at points but the camera didn't know if it should focus on the glass of the vivarium or Cathy!

Anyway, if you are interested in seeing a little girl who I wasn't sure was going to make it being bold and having a wolf down of the first of her two pinkies, here it is

http://youtu.be/LibQ61pJiIY

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  15:43:49  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well done on finding a good way which suits her to eat. Hopefully there will be no more issues :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  16:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScaryVonHayleystine

Well done on finding a good way which suits her to eat. Hopefully there will be no more issues :)

Thank you Hayley, that is a lovely thing to say. She is doing even better now, she will happily take off the tongs with the viv lid open and is on double pinkies. For nearly 3 months we had the towel going over and all sorts just to get her to eat.

Something just seems to have clicked in her and she is coming on leaps and bounds now. Although she is borderline the weight of going up to fuzzies, the ones I have are more than 1 1/2 her girth so I have gone through her pinkies and got the biggest I can and done "double bags" that weigh more than the fuzzies I have to try and get her feeding a bit better. She still will only eat once a week, but she has recently started pooping within 4 days of feeding, so am going to try her 6 nights apart next feed (Monday).

Am just uploading another vid of her on YouTube which my better half just took after she had been out of the viv for a while and was going to go back in - her tail went up and I was NOT going to be pooped on! Will pop it on here when it has finished uploading. She is about 8 or 9 months old but has a tiny head and very slender body which you can see better on the new vid

(we are going shopping for her "big girl home" this weekend as she is about half an inch off growing out of her first home - can't wait to get it!

0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  16:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a little extra vid of Cathy after she had been out and about for half an hour playing on the bed - finally got the better half to take a vid for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r5hcAGQuD4

0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  16:57:39  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You have the monkfield terrainiums dont you? could be someone else. But i also use them and think they are brilliant!. We're still on the 18" for both our babies and they arnt ready to move up yet. Mo is three months and we are guessing Abbey is 5ish months as she is just that bit bigger than Mo, So have atleast a few months to wait before the upgrade. Where about are you getting the viv? :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  17:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are absolutely bang on Hayley, I have the 18" Monkfield terrarium for her.

I am getting her a Vivexotics 3'x2'x2' from Pets at Home as that is the only place where I live (Isle of Man) that sells them. There is another place but they only do the plastic fauns, and I want her big home to be a wooden one with a front opening as she really doesn't seem to like the top opening too much.

I could get it off the internet but the delivery costs make it the same as buying at Pets at Home, plus if anything goes wrong with it I have somewhere to go back to.

I have already got a few bits for it for her, just getting the actual viv, heating mat, stat etc tomorrow so am quite excited

I am going to take my time decorating (how sad it that?!) but have got an idea of what I would like it to look like for her.

And then I will be left with an empty baby corn viv - oh what will I do

0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  17:40:29  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My partner and i actually prefer the monkfield open tops as it prevents us buying more snakes as we have no where to stack :P so we're being good.
But if Cath prefers the front doors than so shall it be :P I do the same when decorating. I make it intruiging to look at and fun for the snake to explore so i know where your coming from with decorating. When its time to move up a size my partner and i are actually donating one of our 18"s to the SSPCA for any baby snaked they get as all they have there are adult sized tanks. No wonder half of them are hiding :/
Good luck when the move up occurs and hope she likes the set up ^^

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

Slinkey23
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  19:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news on the feeding! Hope she keeps it up

1.0.0 Carolina Corn
1.0.0 staffordshire bull terrier
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  00:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is adorable, love the posing for the camera!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  09:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Cathy, our Cola sounded exactly the same. We had to warm up the mice then leave her alone and covered in a rub for around 30 mins before she showed any interest at all. Now she is bigger we make sure we get her out for at least 15 mins a day for exercise, this exercise seems to be doing the trick. She is now starting to strike feed and constrict. Don't know if there is a link between the exercise and feeding response but might be worth a try. Hope it goes well for you with Cathy.
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  13:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for your lovely comments everyone

tk72, I think you are absolutely right, Cathy must feed like your Cola does. On feeding days Cathy has extra time out of the viv (normally half an hour on non feeding days) but she seems to enjoy about 10 to 15 minutes before feeding time on those days.

0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: