Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

EmmaGoodman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  18:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone! My new snake is doing brilliantly, settled in fine and has eaten three times with absolutely no problems! Had a couple of tail rattles but she has always been fine to hold and not a single bite has occured (yet!)

First question, before her first feed (with me) she weighed 6g. I didn't weigh her for her second feed but on her third feed (just now) she weighed 13g. Is this okay/healthy? It could be fine but I just wanted to check!

Next question, snakey has not done a single poo and this is my main worry! She seems fine as I said, she's eating and drinking well. Her warm side ranges from 28 - 30 degrees with sp**** aspen and I know she goes to that side during the night so why hasn't she pooed yet? I know some people say they poo when they shed, which brings me to my third question...

Her last shed according to the place I got her from was the 21st March 2013. Isn't she due a shed soon? I'm not really sure how often these snakes come into shed so maybe that's the reason she hasn't pooed?

My last question (sorry this is so long) is that when I go to pick her up, she always backs away from me and looks like she is going to strike but she never does. I've kinda pointed my finger further to make her strike (I'm stupid) but she never does, she just looks as if she is going to (does that make sense?? . Is this okay? When I handle her she's very calm it's just the initial picking her up bit.

Thanks in advance, sorry it's long! )

0.1.0 Carolina/Normal Corn Snake (Xena)
2.0.0 Cats (Max and Dex)

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  18:52:09  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Really glad your new baby is getting on so well.
Her weight is probably being buffeted up because she hasn't pooped yet but that's nothing to worry too much about. Some snakes will go for quite a few feeds before they poo, that's perfectly normal and nothing to fret about.
Most young snakes will tend to shed on a monthly(ish) basis but this can vary a lot. She probably is due a shed fairly soon.
The posing when you go to pick her up is normal too. Just remember that it's still early days with you and you're a lot bigger than her and could be a threat...she may have need to defend herself. That's why hatchlings and young snakes are quite often rather nippy! Once you are handling her she gets the idea it's safe and she settles down.
One thing I forgot to ask....how old is she?
She sounds gorgeous to me...

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 16/06/2013 18:52:28
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  18:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herriotfan got there first and answered everything just as I would .

A couple more points to add....it may be that she has pooed but you just haven't seen it in the aspen. I haven't dealt with little ones myself but I gather their poo is tiny and can easily be missed.

Regarding her 'posturing' when you go to pick her up, it may be worth you having a look in the handling tips, http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28249. In it there is a method described called the 'patting down' technique, or something like that. It may be worth trying it, just to reassure her that you aren't a threat when you go to pick her up .

Quick question, how are you measuring her temps? Is it with a digital thermometer with the probe resting on the heatmat?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  19:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to do the patting down with Cola. It's a bit nervy at first but it helps. I also have a life of fake leaf of a vine I sometimes rub Cola with that first which seems to let her know I am coming in to get her.
Go to Top of Page

EmmaGoodman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  20:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies

Herriot she was born in November 2012

Kellog I usually do have a good root around her viv to check for poo but maybe I just haven't seen it yet!
I did read the handling post before buying her and have used the patting down technique, she wasn't too fond of her head being touched though so I did it slightly lower, sort of where her neck is and it has helped. I usually make sure she can see my hand before I pick her up. It's just the way she looks at me haha. When I first got her she used to flinch when I did the pat down technique but now she doesn't and she's a lot calmer

Also digital thermometer is attached to stat probe using a rubber band and is lying on the glass (which has the heat mat underneath - monkfield viv).

tk72 know what you mean about nervy!

2.0.0 Cats (Max and Dex)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  20:31:19  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So she is still very young, all normal behaviour for such a wee baby! Bless her. Give her time and she'll be a little gem...

Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 16/06/2013 20:31:33
Go to Top of Page

EmmaGoodman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  20:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha thanks Herriot

2.0.0 Cats (Max and Dex)
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  21:16:37  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think that is a healthy weight :)

Snakes shed when they are ready, they could shed regulary or few and far between. its part of the growin process :)

If you are overly worried then take her to a vet, if not, wait until she/he sheds and see if they have a bowel movement. If not, i'd personally take them to the vet.

I find most baby cornsnakes are deffensive when it comes to handling at first. She/he will still be getting used to the act of handling. They create a lot of "grr im an angry snake" but generally they are just scared. Just give them time :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  21:18:02  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not anything anybody hasnt said, just thought id throw myself in hehe

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  07:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no need to be even thinking of a vet, everything is absolutely normal and as it should be . As far as her bowel movements go, she's either just not ready to poo yet or she has and it's so small that you've missed it, which is easily done. But it's to be expected, as Herriotfan has said.

She'll shed when she's good and ready and not a moment sooner . The amount of times we have new owners worrying because their snake hasn't shed yet and then it goes blue soon after they've asked about it! I'm convinced corns just like to keep us worrying .

Sounds like the setup with the probes etc is as it should be. Hope you didn't mind me asking .

I'm glad the Handling tips have been helpful and you've modified the patting technique to work for you . She is still so young and hasn't been with you very long, so her behaviour isn't at all surprising....try putting yourself in her scales! You'll both get there as you get to know each other and both of you grow more confident .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

EmmaGoodman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  22:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So...

After all my worrying and fretting my snake finally did her first poo!

...On me

And I was wearing shorts

The little madam!

At least I know she has done one now though and she surprised me again today by being out of her cave and roaming around her viv not once but twice! And the light was on, she usually comes out when everyone is in bed. So a happy (if a little annoying ) day all round!

2.0.0 Cats (Max and Dex)
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  05:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was welcomed to the poop club by my girl on my pyjamas, so - welcome to the poop club

Joking aside, really glad she has gone for you now, all the first are so nerve racking. If she isn't due a feed, today would be a good time to get her "true" weight. Sounds as though she is doing brilliantly for you and you have great taste in vivs, I have that one too although we are just about due a move now.

You are definitely going to have to name that gorgeous girl in your sig, she has beautiful markings

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)
Go to Top of Page

EmmaGoodman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  12:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

I will try and weigh her tonight

And I know! She desperately needs a name but I have no idea

2.0.0 Cats (Max and Dex)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  12:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Emma, I did smile when I read that she'd finally pooed....or should I say WHERE she finally pooed . Am so glad she's done it and you can stop worrying, about that at least . Our corns are always a worry to us, I'm sure they do it on purpose!

With regard to weighing, I do it before each feed because then it's done regularly (if I didn't do it that way I'd forget) and I can virtually guarantee that they will be 'empty'....except for Asher who likes to hold on to his a lot longer .

As for names, there are just a few suggestions here - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6673 Good luck with choosing one!

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

EmmaGoodman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  13:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog I weigh mine before I feed too! Otherwise I would definitely forget. Though I think I may do an extra weigh tonight just because she has emptied and I'll know her exact weight

Thanks for the link, I've been trying to find the names list on here everywhere!

2.0.0 Cats (Max and Dex)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  19:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad I'm not the only one who is slightly forgetful ! Did you find any inspiration with the names list?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

EmmaGoodman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  23:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I am going to call her Belle

Today I fed her again after advice from the other thread about feeding every 5 days and she took the pinky like a dream so I will carry on feeding her every 5 days.

I also weighed her and she was 6g so still the same weight as when I first weighed her. So either her poo weighed 7g (I dont think so!) or the scales weren't tared properly but anyhoo we will carry it on every 5 days and see if she gains weight

2.0.0 Cats (Max and Dex)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  23:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And i just commented on the other thread about her being nameless . Belle is a beautiful name .

Don't get too hung up on her not having put on any weight. It really is so minimal at this age and anything can effect her weight. With her being fed once a week it's not surprising she hasn't been putting on much weight. Now you've moved it to every 5 days hopefully, over time, you'll see a gradual weight gain. But don't stress over every gram .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  20:54:00  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aww Belle is such a sweet name for a snake :o

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

EmmaGoodman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  22:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turns out my family did not like Belle and wanted to keep up the cat tradition () of having an 'x' in their name, so now her new name is Xena . Quite a bit different from Belle as you can see but I like it

I am terrible with names anyway so indecisive!

2.0.0 Cats (Max and Dex)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  22:55:32  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think that's a beautiful name!
Like Kellog said, please don't get too hung up on her weight. As long as she is a happy girl who feeds and poos ok you really have no great worries. I didn't have any scales for three years!!
As time goes by you'll mellow into a snake owner who is happy with her lot and just 'gets it' with her snakes. It's a great feeling and I instinctively know you'll get there because you care about your baby and will learn so much together. Enjoy the wonderful journey....

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 22/06/2013 22:57:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000