Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Something a bit different (funky vivarium)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

k8e
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  19:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone

Okay, Pip is getting too big for her faunarium now and will need to go into a vivarium soon. I've been toying with the idea of maybe doing something a little different to the usual aspen/coconut hide/rock cave/driftwood/silk vine set up and going for something more modern.

Like glass nuggets or small stone beads for substrate so that she can still burrow. And instead of using the usual hide maybe go for a home decor vase or something? Silk flowers could substitute the silk vine plants and I'm sure I could find something that has the same effect as a branch/log.

I just wanted peoples opinions on whether this would be okay for the snake? I've been searching google images and the forum for anyone else that might have done something similar and there is absolutely nothing which makes me think I'm either totally insane and this is a crazy idea or that it's just not safe for the snake... but I can't really see it not being safe apart from the substrate part possibly?

I really want something darker (black really) for the floor and Pip likes to burrow but sand isn't advised for corn snakes and aspen/hemp is always light coloured. I know there's bark but isn't the darker type (orchid bark) also not advised because it holds too much moisture?

Please help?

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  21:14:40  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
R.E substrate you can dry the bark out in the oven at around 100c

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

k8e
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  22:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks mikeyd_26, I didn't think of that. The more I think about it the more my original idea of glass nuggets sounds unsuitable. they would get hot on the heat mat and be too cold in the cool end.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  09:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can understand your thinking Katie and it is an interesting concept. I think what people try to do is mimic what our snakes would have in the wild. You are right about the glass beads not being a great idea, they would look amazing but aren't right for the snake....and can you imagine having to clean them everytime your snake pooed !!

For a darker substrate I THINK you can use Repti Bark or Cyprus Mulch , although, as you've pointed out, they can cause issues with humidity. I THINK, as Mikey said, that they can be baked and that will solve that issue.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, I've only ever used the lighter substrates so haven't dealt with them myself. I look forward to seeing Pip's vivarium when you're done with it .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  10:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get dark cage carpets but then your corn wouldn't be able to burrow, as others have said orchid bark is the option also and it is cooked or microwaved, we keep the corns, king and rat snake on it at work and have had not issues, we do microwave it be for use though. Other option is repticard as that is fairly darkish.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

witchy
Egg

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  10:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen coloured beech chips... Not sure if they do a really dark one but can definitely get blue, green etc
We've toyed with the idea of putting some in 1 area only to replicate a pool & would then be able to see them mix it up as they burrow.
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  13:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't use the dyed substrates - we went into a rep shop once and they had a very green hognose - I was really surprised - but the pet shop owner said the previous owners had kept him on green bark and it had dyed him :O Apparently he had spilt his water on it!

Go to Top of Page

k8e
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  20:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for your input on substrate I'm hopefully going to the garden centre/pet shop tomorrow so will check out the different options.

I think I will definitely steer clear of the dyed chips after the poor hognose story! yikes!
Go to Top of Page

Slinkey23
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  21:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think I will definitely steer clear of the dyed chips after the poor hognose story! yikes!

Dam it! Was just gunna say maybe aspen shavings mixed with black food colouring and then dry it out? Not sure if it would work but could be worth a go!'

Edited by Kellog to correct quote

1.0.0 Carolina Corn
1.0.0 staffordshire bull terrier

Edited by - Kellog on 09/06/2013 08:08:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000