Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  23:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just looking for everyone's input / view for the best substrate for the messier of snakes. George is considerably clean. But on the other hand Belle my Cali, loves to make big messes.

I'm currently using beach chips, but these proving expensive are not really cutting out at the job.

I have come across some astro turf, that I can cut several down to size and hose them down and leave to dry.

But would like to consider my other options.

Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes to this topic

Slinkey23
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  05:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im in the same boat with aspen its everywere! And hard to find the poop, i know home an bargin do a massive roll of artaficial grass for £30 tha would last ages!

1.0.0 Carolina Corn
1.0.0 staffordshire bull terrier
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  07:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slinkey23

Im in the same boat with aspen its everywere! And hard to find the poop, i know home an bargin do a massive roll of artaficial grass for £30 tha would last ages!

Yes, that's the one I've been looking at. Not sure what it will stand up to though. I expect you'd have to layer underneath too, with paper or card board. Because I'm guessing it has holes to allow water to drain through when layed outdoors.

I think I will go for that option. It works out around £12.00 every month for 6 1kilo bags of beech chips to fill two 4-5ft vivariums.

Plus it's hard work cleaning and it still manages to get onto the wood at the bottom of the vivarium. I found using wallpaper works as it absorbs well. Only thing is they both have mastered getting underneathe. Think I may have to glue gun some vinyl flooring to the base of both vivariums.
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  09:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we keep the Cali king at work on newspaper as he is so vile! Cage carpet is absorbent and dries quickly although it does shrink and it's a pain taking out every thing to replace the carpet with a fresh piece!

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  10:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever used wood based cat litter? Yeah kings seem to be messier, no clue why lol
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  11:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Welshlamb

Anyone ever used wood based cat litter? Yeah kings seem to be messier, no clue why lol

I use to use some form of wood based cat litter for my ratties
It looked pretty and smelled nice, but when it got wet it turned essentially into dust.
With cats and rats etc I suppose thats not an issue with their more frequent clean outs, but could make snakey spot cleaning a pain

Tried megazorb?
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  11:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never tried megazorb, will look into it though
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  11:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't look very nice to look at. But I think I'll buy some and trial it on belle as she is one dirty girl
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  11:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do I get this from ?
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  11:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It only comes in huge bags lol - 85L they are!
I got mine from here; http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/horse-bedding/pid2810/cid358/northern-crop-driers-megazorb-bedding-85-litres.asp
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  14:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Figs

It only comes in huge bags lol - 85L they are!
I got mine from here; http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/horse-bedding/pid2810/cid358/northern-crop-driers-megazorb-bedding-85-litres.asp

Hmmm... £14.00
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  14:38:17  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I didn't pay that much for mine, i cant for the life of me remember where i got it from though :O, hold on, i still have the box downstairs and it was sealed with tape with the shops name on it, i go look for you

EDIT: here you go, farm and pet place, £7.60
http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/equine/bedding/wood-pulp-pellets/megazorb-horse-bedding.html

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx

Edited by - ScalySituation on 04/06/2013 14:41:53
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  17:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

I'm sure I didn't pay that much for mine, i cant for the life of me remember where i got it from though :O, hold on, i still have the box downstairs and it was sealed with tape with the shops name on it, i go look for you

EDIT: here you go, farm and pet place, £7.60
http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/equine/bedding/wood-pulp-pellets/megazorb-horse-bedding.html

Thank you. Will have a look at this. My main concern is will it create a loads of dust? Does it stop tunnelling ?
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  18:13:22  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I dont have an issue with dust. Not many tunnels, but my snakes have never been big on tunneling anyway

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  18:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

I dont have an issue with dust. Not many tunnels, but my snakes have never been big on tunneling anyway

Ok thanks, I think youve sold the idea too me.
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  18:18:27  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its great :) really soft and fluffy for them to lay on

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  00:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get my Megazorb from the same place a scaly and it's always top notch, quick delivery, great price and lasts ages. Smells lovely and I never see my house snake, he tunnels through it like a pro, just pat it down a bit. I don't find it dusty either. In fact I love this stuff, it clumps like cat litter when it's wet so the mess can be picked up easily. It's also safe when accidentally swallowed (by the snake, don't eat it). I think it looks great too, like gravel, I've had friends comment about the gravel and I show them its just fluffy paper. You'll never go back.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  10:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help. Have ordered a bale. Ill give it a try with my king first. She's the messier of the two. Hopefuly I like it. I'm not a fan of tunnels, as I love to be able to see the snakes. But ah well I can't always win.
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  15:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had an email. Megazorb is on it's way will be delivered tomorrow. Thanks for the help all
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  17:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Figs! And all others. Megazorb is amazing! Will never go back to chips.
Belle decided to go to toilet and it held up amazingly. Clump together no problems.

I think this megazorb should be on the main care sheet to this site. It's by far the best substrate and I've tried them all. From Carpet, Aspen, Chips, Wallpaper. Megazorb beats them all
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  12:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Welshlamb

........I think this megazorb should be on the main care sheet to this site. It's by far the best substrate and I've tried them all. From Carpet, Aspen, Chips, Wallpaper. Megazorb beats them all

I'm glad you're so pleased with the Megazorb, Ashley . There are other products similar, like Lignocel which I've just changed to and know a number of others have too. I know i wont be using anything else now I've tried it.

The substrate you want to use for your snake is a very personal choice....and for some Megazorb just wouldn't be right. I do agree that the care sheet could probably do with updating though, to include the newer products like Megazorb, Lignocel and Repticard.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000