Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  12:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately it's far too common that people are given wrong advice by pet shops, and even reptile shops and breeders . It's why I check everything I'm told on here. My nearest reptile shop says that thermostats aren't necessary as a heatmat will never heat up to a temperature that could burn a snake and doesn't even stock them !! I'm so sorry about your friend's snake. I 'kennelled' one of my snakes with this shop while I was away and when we brought him home he was riddled with mites....and the shop refused to accept that it came from them when I rang them to warn them to check all their snakes.

You don't want Snakey losing weight too fast as that isn't healthy for him. I haven't dealt with an overweight snake myself, but it needs to be a slow process and is going to take time. There isn't any rush and all that's important is Snakey's health and 'happiness' .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

BILMAN
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  13:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog, wow, pet shops seem pretty bad all of a sudden.

I think I'll feed Snakey once every two weeks then. Hopefully, he'll lose weight.

I was also wondering if it hurts a snake when it goes backwards on its scales? Because it can get caught on some stuff, but would it hurt them in anyway?
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  19:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a good plan .

As for a snake being hurt when it goes backwards on its scales, I guess it depends on how tight a situation it is 'squeezed' into. Most of the time it won't cause an issue, they are designed to be able to move like that. Very occasionally if they've got themselves into a very tight squeeze it can 'ruck up' some scales, but if that happens they will often do an early shed to 'heal' them. They truly are amazing creatures .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

BILMAN
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  15:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog, they are pretty cool with what they do and all the different species :) Also, it turns out that I have been feeding it mediums, not larges as I thought. Probably my new pet shop owner's mistake :P
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2013 :  10:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BILMAN

........Also, it turns out that I have been feeding it mediums, not larges as I thought. Probably my new pet shop owner's mistake :P

Well at least it's not an issue with Snakey that he's been getting less than you thought .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000