Are kitchen roll tubes safe for snakes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BILMAN
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2013 :  15:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see many people using them for their snakes, but I was wondering if they were really safe? What happens in a snake goes in one end, then decides to double-back through the exit end and so his head and tail are next to each other in the same side of the roll and it wedged in the roll?

Will it harm it in anyway?

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2013 :  15:57:50  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use them in my vivs and although they do double back on themselves I've never had a snake that was wedged.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

BILMAN
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2013 :  16:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Snakey wasn't really wedged as it got out when I poked him, as I was scared he was stuck or some damage might occur to him while in there.

I've taken his kitchen roll tubes away for now, just in case it is bad for him.
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2013 :  16:37:48  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kitchen tubes are perfectly safe and it won't get stuck, no matter how many times it doubles up. It might not come out when you want it to but it will come out when it decides. If you try poking it then it will get stressed and jam itself even tighter. Just let it come out by itself.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2013 :  17:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think kitchen rolls are bad for corns. Even if they do wedge themselves in there, the roll itself is pretty flexible and corns can squash their bodies up enough so that they can't really get stuck.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

andria2013
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2013 :  21:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my 2 love them ,

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2013 :  22:53:58  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i use them cut in half lengthways for hatchlings, because they tend to wedge themselves in a full tube and refuse to come out :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2013 :  03:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They say a pic is worth a thousand words...

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248

Edited by - Thorne Walker on 22/05/2013 03:31:39
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2013 :  09:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bazilishka is now 3,5 - 4 foot long, and still loves to wedge herself into a kitchen roll tube. This was taken when her viv was being spring cleaned, and she had to wait in her old faunarium... she made herself nice and safe in the tube, and was peeping out, supervising the cleaning ( sorry for the quality, it was taken through the plastic, and with bad light ) .

She came out easily - when he wanted to :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

andria2013
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2013 :  09:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2 inside cardboard tube from lino .

Go to Top of Page

witchy
Egg

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2013 :  10:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a near fatal accident with a large, wrapping paper tube.
My caramel male had my friends female visit for breeding earlier this year. Introductions went well & she was left in his viv as they didn't mate immediately.
Fast forward a bit & luckily I was sitting on the floor directly in front of the viv laminating some stuff, look over & my friends female is hanging out 1 end of the tube, head flat, mouth wide open & eyes bulging clearly strangling... After 30 seconds of panic & a ripped open tube I was hugging the poor, gasping female.
My not very bright male had decided he wanted his tube, wedged himself in with her & then squashed her.
Tubes are great but I would never use them if there is more than 1 snake in the enclosure.
Go to Top of Page

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2013 :  11:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a coincidence witchy, my caramel female decided to wedge herself in a wrapping paper tube once. She was out for playtime on my bed, then suddenly launched herself into the roll of wrapping paper leaning up against the bed. It was fine at first, she's rather skinny until about a third of the way down her body. I assumed she'd turn back when she got too wide, but she carried on going until her head came out the other side...then she got stuck. I had to unroll all of the wrapping paper to get her out. She's not too keen on tubes now.

My male, on the other hand, loves his tubes, so much so that I got him one of these. Best thing ever in his mind.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005M9993I/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

BILMAN
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2013 :  17:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone! I feel much safer for Snakey now and I have returned both his rolls and added one more kitchen roll tube and toilet paper tube :)
He did seem a bit sad when I took them away from him, even though I spent a while making him a climbing frame from bamboo and string, which he almost never uses :(

I was really scared he would damage his insides somehow so that why I needed all of your informations.

Snakey is just under 6 years old and is around 4 foot long I guess. I was concerned if he was a bit overweight but he has a loaf of bread shape/tunnel shape and I researched that that means he is normal weight, and also my Father says he is normal weight.

Thorne Walker, Snakey is much bigger than your Snake so he doesn't fit as well as yours anymore :P

Razee, Snakey's situation was more like yours, so now I am happy to learn that it won't harm him in any way if it looks like he is stuck :)

I only have one Snake so being squished because of another Snake isn't going to be a problem :)

Thanks everyone :) I think I'm going to try and use this site more and upload pictures when I can. I signed up here over a year ago, but for some reason it says I only recently signed up :P
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2013 :  20:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha

Even Kitty has gotten to the point where he doesn't fit quite that well...

That pic is about a year out of date..

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page

LukeW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2013 :  17:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get the cardboard tubes from work they are about half an inch thick cut them in half, my snakes love them and there free! :p its the sort of tube that comes with carpet etc

Female normal - Cyrus (can't think of a girl name :p)

Male charcoal - Midnight

Female amel - Lilly

Female CB13 anery 100% het sunkissed - Ariel.

Male CB13 fire 100% het stripe, 50% het hypo, anery and lavender

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2013 :  12:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any of the cardboard rolls in my snakes' vivs, but I do have a paper bag of them which I use as 'snake toys'. Sometime when I have a snake out I will dump them all over the floor, leaving the paper bag for them to crawl in and over as well. They love it . I did make the mistake of leaving a wrapping paper roll out when I had Kellog playing with them and was convinced he was stuck....his head was out one end, his tail out the other and he didn't seem to be going anywhere . I was beginning to contemplate quite how I was going to cut him out without damaging him when he very slowly inched forward. It took a while but he came free and happily carried on exploring. I haven't made that mistake again....the wrapping paper tube is for Silvi's use only!

When you talk about them going in one end and then doubling back on themselves and coming out, I've had that with Kellog and his flowerpot hide...only he came out of it, went back in and then came out again ! Yet again I was worried he might be stuck but he was quite happy and able to manoeuvre through the hole when it looked impossible. It is something to keep in mind, because snakes DO get too big for the hole's in their hides, so it's something you need to keep an eye on.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2013 :  22:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's near impossible for a snake to get stuck in something they go into, they can move in a straight line, have no shoulders and can collapse their ribs to get through tiny gaps.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2013 :  22:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not so sure Lotabob....I know they can get into, and out of, some amazingly small spaces but I think there are times when they 'misjudge' and can get stuck, even with their amazing anatomy. One issue is them going too far into a narrow space and their scales preventing them from backing out....but I think they can also go into spaces they literally can't slide out of.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

infernogal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  12:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use toilet/kitchen roll tubes, also cut down the middle length ways and also made little roll windows in the kitchen roll tube :)
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  15:34:13  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I use tubes too-for the bigger chaps I cut them down the middle,the wee ones I leave them 'as is'.They also quite like an 'Amazon box'with the brown paper scrunched up and left inside-check for any sticky tape first though
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000