Zooming about
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maddy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2013 :  23:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Maddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got my first ever corn Talisker for Christmas this year and I love him to bits. I've been told he's about a year old, but I have another corn now who is 9 months and she isn't anywhere near as big as he is.

Anyway Talisker usually sits in his rock all day and sneaks out at night, he's always eaten well but skips meals when he's shedding. He was actually pretty skinny when I got him but I moved him up a size two months ago and he's been gobbling them down with gusto, put on a bit of weight and his spine doesn't stick out anymore which is great.

Recently he's been zooming around his viv like crazy, scooting all over it and getting really interested in the glass... I've been taking him out to see if he's seen something, but he just seems to be insanely curious about... Something in the air? I have no idea! I wasn't worried about him, but he skipped his meal last Friday and then shed on Tuesday, I thought the activity was an "Iii'mm huungryyyy!!" but he skipped again today! Not interested in it at all, just wanted to get out of the viv.

I'm curious if this is something I should be concerned about, is there something in his viv that might be bothering him or is it because it's mating season (he's sired a clutch before) or is he just not hungry but very curious?

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2013 :  23:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's about a year old and he's already sired a clutch before? That sounds quite young to me. It could just be breeding behaviour, maybe he's looking for the ladies.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2013 :  23:30:41  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
a year old seems a bit young to be breeding!is your other snake male or female? are they housed together?
it is really not good at all for baby females to be bred that young!
My adult male corn also does a fair bit of chasing of imaginary females from time to time-this usually ends with him trashing his viv-pulling plants down/piling all the substrate up in one place-you know typical adolescent male behaviour
Go to Top of Page

Maddy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  07:06:57  Show Profile  Visit Maddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
His previous owner had him cohabing with what he thought was another male until she laid a clutch of eggs! Bad snake ownership on his part, he had too many reptiles and not enough money or space to keep them all so he was selling them all cheaply and my Mum snagged Tal for me.

I'm also not sure if he is a year old, he's about 3.5 ft long, but I know my females age and she's not anywhere near as big an supposedly a similar age.
Go to Top of Page

Maddy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  07:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Maddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
(Sorry not sure how to edit post)
Tal, my male, and Isla, my female, are not in te same viv but they are in the same room.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  08:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It definitely sounds like breeding behaviour Maddy. My Kellog is just coming out of it....he stopped eating at the end of February and I finally managed to tempt him to eat with a small mouse (he's usually on larges) a couple of weeks ago. He's still out and about but not nearly as active. It does seem as though different snakes work on different timetables for their breeding seasons.

All you can do is to keep offering him his food, on his normal feeding day, and expect to throw away quite a few mice that are ignored . But one day he'll surprise you and decide that food is more important than females and he'll eat. You may be able to tempt him in the way I did, by offering him a smaller food size and maybe braining it or something like that....but it's not vital. What you need to remember is that this is a 'natural fast', something their bodies are able to cope with. Do you keep a record of his weight? He will probably lose a bit of weight, although I've known some snakes who haven't despite not eating for months and zooming around using up lots of energy . Try not to worry about it....just keep a close eye on him and keep doing what you normally do.

I'm so glad you took him on and know enough to care for him properly . Unfortunately there are too many cases like his where snakes are kept in bad conditions and are even in danger, like Talisker's previous viv mate who probably wasn't old enough or healthy enough to breed....all through the owner's lack of desire to understand the animals he's keeping . Its not helped by wrong advice being given by pet shops and even reptile shops and breeders . Sorry, I'll get off my soap-box now !

Talisker is a lucky snake, he's got a lovely viv and an owner who truly cares . If you have any other questions or worries then please do just ask. We don't bite....much !

And we need pics of Tal and Isla....it's forum policy that you introduce them .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Maddy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  08:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Maddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's reassuring, thank you Kellog! I'm not worried if it is just him getting randy, I was more concerned it was something about the viv he wanted to get away from. :)

There were some photos of Tal I posted back in December when I was introducing myself but I haven't been very active since them hehe

Little Isla, a female normal, born 13th August 2012 (You can see Talisker's viv in the background here, on top of the chest!)

Talisker when he feeds normally, this was before I moved him up a size though.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  09:02:12  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with Kellog, it sounds like typical male behaviour during the breeding season.
Both your snakes are beautiful.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  10:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is worrying when it first happens Maddy. I was introduced to it rather abruptly....I got Kellog, my 1st corn, and he refused to eat for 13 weeks ! I was so worried it was something I was doing wrong and that's when I found this forum....and they haven't been able to get rid of me since ! That was quite a few years ago now and every year he's done the same thing. He'd never done it with his previous owner, so I guess the move set him off or maybe it was just co-incidence. Whatever it was, it was a very worrying time for me. I do like this time of year, because its lovely seeing him out and about so much when he's usually hiding away ....but I don't like the fact that he doesn't eat , even though I know why.

They are both lovely snakes....and their colours are so contrasting .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  13:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he's 3.5 ft, you got him at Christmas, and he's sired a clutch before... I'd have said there is NO WAY he's just a year lol! Much more likely you were given wrong info from the previous bad owner, either by accident or on purpose. He looks a lovely snake, and congrats on little Isla as well :)

Go to Top of Page

Maddy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  19:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Maddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kellog that sounds TERRIFYING! I would be an absolute wreck! At least I know what it is now though, it is lovely seeing them out and about though isn't it!!

quote:
I'd have said there is NO WAY he's just a year lol!

I gotta agree, the guy sounded desperate to sell all his reptiles so he just told my Mum anything to get rid of Tal! Although a lot of it is true, he said he was a docile snake with good character and he definitely is. I always suspected he wasn't actually a yearling but it doesn't really matter, I have a general idea of how old he is by his size :)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  08:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was scary Maddy, but this forum kept me sane....while I drove them crazy !! And it is easier to deal with when you know why it's happening.

Going by what you've said about Talisker's old owner I'm not surprised he didn't give you the right information about his age. He probably thought he had more chance of a sale if he said he was younger....he certainly didn't seem to care much . But his age doesn't matter....all that matter is that he's healthy and you love him, which you obviously do .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000