Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sonia666
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  14:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
sorry if iv put this in the wrong place if so please move it

iv just made a moss hide for the first time as venom is having problems shedding he's been in blue and gone clear again for ages but not shedding.( i think his mind is on the ladies not himself)
so i got a Tupperware box and filled it with damp moss put the lid on he seems happy enough but was i meant to pack the moss down at the bottom or leave it loose for him to crawl round?
he's been in it loads but i'm worried that he wont have enough air as the is only a hole at the top for him to get in and out of and that iv put too much moss in.
sorry if this seems a really silly question i did look for previouse post but nothing that i could says how much moss to put in.

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  15:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am sure he'll be fine as long as he can get in and out as he pleases, I usually just put it in the box, I use a clover tube for one of mine and I don't pack it down. As long as it isn't too wet he'll be fine. Some times it can take a while from them clearing the blue stage to shedding so try not to worry too much :-)

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  20:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog has taken nearly 2 weeks between his eyes clearing and him shedding before....and he's even gone blue twice, and cleared up twice, before a shed. These corns don't like to be predictable .

I don't have any experience of moss hides but I'm sure Smartbunny is right, as long as he can get in and out, it isn't too damp and is obviously finding it comfortable he'll be fine.

Hope he sheds for you soon.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

cornelious
Egg

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2013 :  07:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With mine I got a proper moss hide, put about 1/3 of moss in and fluffed it up abit and just left him to it, sometimes he stayed in there for ages, im sure it will Be fine as long as your snake can get in and out easily :)

Go to Top of Page

sonia666
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  12:58:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help all just another quick question how long do you leave the hide in for before removing it as i dont want him getting any infections?
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  13:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just leave it in until he has shed, then remove it once it's no longer needed. You don't want it to be in there permanently, but a week or 2 while he needs it is absolutely fine :)

He he he, Kellog and I are doing really well with mixing posters up at the moment, I didn't think I'd posted on this thread yet!! :P

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  15:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are moss hides needed? Never had one with cola and she has always shed fine.
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  17:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that case, no, but some snakes have problems and for them it is recommended. Quite a few people reported their usually fine snakes having problems this winter - probably because it's been so cold for so long that having the heating on has reduced the humidity in people's houses. I don't use moss hides for my corns and they have been fine - except for Corno's shed the other week which was in 3 pieces. She's shed perfectly for the last year or so so I'm not going to suddenly put a damp hide in unless she has a problem again next time.

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  18:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only use a moss hide for one of mine as he had a series of bad sheds, the other has always been fine.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

_spadey_
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2013 :  12:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to use moss hides but slowly phased them out.
This is because I have a water dish large enough for him to soak in if he is having any troubles. The obvious disadvantage is that you have to clean out your water dish more frequently but I have never had (touch viv) any problems with mine shedding wise. Quite surprisingly the larger water dish does not affect my humidity to much (however my lid is gauss so moist air most likely evaporates out of the tank, but as long as your ventilation is adequate I don't see any problems).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000