Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dalep2006
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  19:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys.... its been a while since ive been on the forum. I'm such a busy man :-).... Firstly....Was told in the pet shop my snake was born in early November and was male but after self assessing with help from this site im pretty sure shes a female... Her name is now Nagi :-)....Had her six months now and she has had 3 sheds in that time so im happy shes growing well. She's fed every 5 days on one pinkie since i got her but these last few feeds it doesnt seem to be leaving a real "bulge" when shes fed. Should i just try giving her a second pinkie and see what happens or up size the mouse to a fuzz? I havent got any scales so havent kept a record of her weights or anything unfortunately so cant really use the weight charts.(I have however, just ordered a set so I can start a weight and measure chart in my diary ). So shes around 6 months old now... could any experienced corn snake keepers advise me when they started "upping" their baby corns feeds please.

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  20:11:24  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try her on two pinkies and if she takes them ok with no problems then I'd finish off the pinkies, a couple at each meal, and then move up a size.
The guideline is that they can eat anything up to 1.5 the size of their widest part.
Hope that's all you wanted to know but if you have any other questions please ask!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 12/05/2013 20:12:22
Go to Top of Page

Dalep2006
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  22:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah will do thanks for that, due a feed tomorrow so will try her then. Just wanted re-assuring i suppose. Want to do things right :-) As probably with most on here, owning a snake as a pet is not as popular as dogs/cats etc so your limited for advice. None of my friends or family have one. Been fine just reading past posts on here and in my corn snake keepers guide up to now if ive been unsure on anything but didnt want to "over-feed"

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  06:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've done the right thing asking for advice Dale, and I hope you continue to do so. I'm so glad Nagi has got an owner who cares so much .

Herriotfan has given you perfect advice, as expected . If there isn't any real bump then it's time to offer more. I know that some people do just go up in size but I've heard that its good for youngster to have the double pinkies, as they supply more much needed calcium than the next size up. It's certainly what I would do. Just wait until the first pinkie is about a third of the way down her body and then offer her the second.

I totally agree with you about how hard it is owning pets that very few friends or family own....and there is so much contradictory information out there, because there isn't a right or wrong way to do things. It's why a forum like this is so necessary, advice from people who have been there and done that ....and even they're still learning, although they hate to admit it .

Hope the feed goes well today. Let us know.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Dalep2006
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  23:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All went well. Took 2 pinkies no hesitation. Thought her eyes were gonna pop out when i offered her a second ........"oooooooo more mmmmmmmmm" gone within a minute. These were her last 2 aswell so just been and fetched her her weekend meal. Fluffs. :-) See how we go.

Now shes gettin more confident and bigger should i start to introduce more decoration and more attractive hides to her viv? Ive got one of the monkfield small vivs which should be good for her up to about 2 foot but shes only got in the basics (water dish and 2 coconut hides )which i was advised to keep to a minumum by the shop i bought her from. Ive got a rock hide and an imitation vine dying to go in :-)

Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2013 :  08:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The more hides/foliage that's in there the safer and more confident she will be. Can't see why you was told that after putting her in a viv anyway?! Faunariums are usually kept quite simple, but still have lots of coverage, it's better for the snake I'd chuck some dunelm fake ivy in, and a few things for her to play around!

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2013 :  09:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So pleased she took the pinkies without hesitation Dale ....I bet she couldn't believe her luck !

That's bizarre advice from the pet shop about keeping things to a minimum in her viv, but I'm not surprised. I don't think anything a pet shop or even reptile shop advises could surprise me now . As Sonia has said, the more hides and cover she has in her viv the safer and more confident she'll feel. Time to have fun decorating !!!

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Dalep2006
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2013 :  17:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
time to pimp my viv :-)

Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2013 :  19:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

As Sonia has said,

Who? Lol!

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2013 :  22:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalep2006

time to pimp my viv :-)

Can't wait to see the finished product .

quote:
Originally posted by serena_08

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

As Sonia has said,

Who? Lol!

Oops ! Apologies Serena. This is becoming a habit .....

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Dalep2006
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2013 :  23:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nagi's viv is now looking very homely, will post some pics if i get chance over the weekend, certainly seems like she likes it :-) My scales also came today so gave her her first weigh in. 22g so im pleased shes a good weight. Will also post over the weekend how she gets on with her first fluff :-)

Edited by - Dalep2006 on 16/05/2013 23:25:43
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2013 :  23:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's fantastic Dale ....bet you had fun doing it. Am looking forward to seeing pics.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Dalep2006
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  18:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nagi update. Been just over a month now since i started her on fluffs and the difference is amazing.i Weighed her today and shes 40g thats almost double her body weight in a month and you can really tell(photos to follow). Shes had a shed too and expect her to have another in next week or so as her skin is starting to feel a little rough. Had her first refusal a couple of weeks back, just wouldnt go nowhere the fluff she looked almost scared of it, the size was the same and nothing was done different(i feed her in a rub). i left her for 4 days and tried again and she took it but was still hesitant. it was her feeding time again last thursday and she did eat it but slowly approached the fluff and just started eating it where as every feed since ive had her shes struck. Temps and humidity are same.... im puzzled. but at least shes eating thats the main thing. Had a lovely experience today as well......while she was out i was letting her explore and she was rested over my hand, belly and trousers and before i could do anything she did some belly dancing and excreeted some delightful fluids all over me complete with whoopee cushion sound....what an elegant lady :-)

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  19:08:29  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She sounds adorable!
It may be she's coming into shed again and that's why she's not so happy to eat. I've got a couple that are not too fussed about eating while shedding but once the old 'coat' is off they are up for the feast of a lifetime!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Dalep2006
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  19:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i'll keep my eye on her....not too worried cos shes eating but just out of character. She feeds in blue normally too but i suppose she is allowed to keep me guessing cos thats what snakes do so ive seen :-) ;-) :-)

Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  21:05:35  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear she is doing so well :) She sounds so loverly :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  21:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's brilliant to hear how well she's doing Dale . It shows how well you're doing .

As for her messing around with her eating....our corns like to keep us on our toes . The one thing I will say is that IF she refuses again, don't try to feed her too soon. Wait until her next feeding day, otherwise you will just stress her. But hopefully it won't happen again .

Looking forward to seeing pics.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Dalep2006
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  19:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
checked on nagis temps etc last night and the humidity was at 80%...too high... i have took the hygrometer out to check the room humidity and it dropped down to 60%. So i know its working fine. Checked again in the viv this morning and still up at 81%. emptied all her hides and foliage out and have done a full clean out. I put the hygrometer in the viv while it was completely empty and read 65%. Just put new aspen in and all her foliage and hides back (which do not block or obstruct the two vents) and its shot right back up to 82%. Any idea anyone? never had a problem before!

Go to Top of Page

Dalep2006
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  19:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a few pics of nagi

Pics adjusted by Kellog

Edited by - Kellog on 23/06/2013 20:15:27
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  20:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's beautiful Dale . Not sure what is going on with your humidity. I'm assuming its a wooden viv?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Dalep2006
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  20:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah its wooden. sorry didnt know how to align pics vertically

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic