Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake psychology - males with other males?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asmodias
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  15:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, about 3 months back I picked up a 'breeding pair'. One of these is a fairly small yet almost matured charcoal (well, it's a silverish pigment but certainly not a double trait)
It's 'partner' is a proportionally colossal hypo corn (or a pretty damn red standard carolina). It's not yet fully matured and it's a fussy eater but its length and weight is about 50% over that of a normal corn.

Now, get this - when I got these two I was told:
They had been living together since they were hatchlings
The charcoal was a female
One is MUCH larger than the other (like, could literally consume the other and have enough space for his weekly meal)

So, I wanted to double check their sexes before this breeding season just to play it safe, turns out...:

I've got two males living together
Have gone through previous breeding seasons and have been subjected to previous temp changes as part of the previous owners attempt to breed them
One is much larger than the other

------------------------

Has anyone encountered this? I thought two males sharing an enclosure was a universal no-no, but their size difference is incredible as I say and they've been living together for years.
Is it pure luck, or have their years together made them passive towards each other?

Cheers.

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  18:47:27  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
while not a social animal corns seem to be a very tolerant species. If they are the same age and have lived together since hatchling then the chances are the larger is more dominant and has always taken the best spot in the viv leaving the smaller one in less than perfect conditions.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000