Why snakes need feeding....?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  17:33:52  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today I weighed my cb12 girls Popup-starved Diffused Lavender Stripe and
Peppa-feasted on rat pups Diffused Anery.

Now that I've learned to read the scales properly:

Popup 59.2g
Peppa 269g

I guess its a case of feast and famine-they are both about the same lengths.Peppa is now on mice and Popup eats everything

jenjen23
Hatchling

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  18:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Peppa definitely cb12? That is huge, the variation is incredible! Compared to my Basil, she is definitely big, he has just turned 1 year and is about 110g.

0.0.1 Normal Cornsnake, 2 years old - Basil
0.1.0 Crawl Cay Boa, 1.5 years - Luna
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  19:00:17  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yup,Peppa is end of feb. Popup is September.Peppa IS FAT she was only fed on rat pups,two at each meal every 5-7 days.Now I've got her on to mice.
Popup was fed only pinky mice one every two weeks-or once a month if a feed was missed.
I have learned that a rat pup is nutritionaly the same value as an adult mouse (on this forum).
It is staggering
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  19:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a chunk Peppa is! My kinky little '10 weighs less than that haha
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  19:09:36  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Figs

What a chunk Peppa is! My kinky little '10 weighs less than that haha

Hmm begining to think she may be part Royalshe's got the body shape for it
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  21:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you do get the occasional one's that grow really fast, my male diffused ghost was just over 400 grams at a year old!

Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  22:14:31  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

you do get the occasional one's that grow really fast, my male diffused ghost was just over 400 grams at a year old!

maybe to do with diffused/anery gene combo??
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  23:21:17  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just shows the difference that there can be. That's what makes it so hard when we are asked how big should my snake be?
Thank goodness little Popup came to you and can now have the 'good life' that all snakes should be entitled to.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  23:42:16  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Just shows the difference that there can be. That's what makes it so hard when we are asked how big should my snake be?
Thank goodness little Popup came to you and can now have the 'good life' that all snakes should be entitled to.

yupthese beasties are made by 'us'for our enjoyment-they have no choice.
Thank goodness for TCS-helping folks to keep their snakes healthy and happy-and for sharing all the Experience and lovely beasties out there
CHEERS M'DEARS
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  04:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Just shows the difference that there can be.

Well.. I'd say it's more like here is what a chronically underfed snake is vs a consistently overfed one.

If they were both on the Munson plan (or otherwise identical feeding regime) then maybe 'wow natural variation' etc etc might be applicable

(@herriot.. I'm not trying to single you out or anything your post was easier to quote is all)

The Snakebytes feeding experiment clearly showed what effect diet can have on growth rate...

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  11:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both snakes lucky to have been found by you (or your other half lol) mj - so they can now both be fed sensibly!

quote:
Originally posted by mjpeters

quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

maybe to do with diffused/anery gene combo??

I have wondered about that - our anery is growing at a right old rate (approaching 350g at 20 months and not fat yet although I have reduced her feeding frequency now), but our amel stripe is still rather dinky for her age (just over 100g at 17 months). Both have been fed the same (appropriate to size) since I got them, Corno at 2 1/2 months and Ember at 4 months, but Corno will eat every time whether in blue or not and Ember is a fussy little madam!

Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  19:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
59.2g seems kinda normal for a 2012 hatchling. My smallest is around that weight but she is quite small. Peppa must be quite podgy

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  22:00:03  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Peppa is a pig!When I've got some daylight I'll put up some comparison pics.I agree with you Thorne Walker-one was starved and one was feasted-like I put in the post initialy.
That aside Peppa is a Granite (diffused Anery)and Popup is a much more bewildering mixed up morph (Vanishing Lavender Stripe best guess).
Pics. of both are elsewhere on this forum..
I thought folks would be interested to have a comparison
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000