Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Redware
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  23:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

Well after a week of settling in and 48 hours after a feed we got willow out to play, she rattled at me when I wne to get her out but was fine once out.

I am still interested to know what people think about her size, I'm worried from the reptile shops feeding record that she may be a bit skinny? what do people think? The penny and watch strap in the pics below should give a sense of scale.

They also said that she should be ready to go up to fuzzies. Considering the pics below do people think that she is ready for this or not. never having bought a fuzzie it is hard for me to tell if it would be 1.5 x as big as her or not! I will weigh her next week to help with prey size.

Thanks, hope you like the pics.

Edited by Kellog to remove URL

Corns: 1.2.0 Caramel Tessera Het Stripe ph lots (Oak) Caramel (Willow) Caramel Stripe Het Amel (Juniper)
Royals: 1:1:0 Lesser Pastel (Bismuth) Cinna Spin (Indium)

Edited by - Kellog on 06/05/2013 09:20:42

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  23:49:57  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice pics-happy looking snake too When I get frozen food I always look at the various sizes and pick and choose what I need.Livefoods By Post here on Isle Of Wight breeds all rodents and are very helpful.
Wherever you get the food from you should be able to ask-after all you pick and choose your food
I try and see if the baby snake matches the thickness of one of my fingers,then when buying food look for an item 1.5x bigger than that finger.
Good luck and keep us posted
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  02:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very pretty

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  09:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willow is lovely Ben .

She doesn't look too skinny to me, but it's hard to tell from photos. Sounds bizarre but if you were to cut her in half , would she be triangular (skinny), loaf-shaped (just right) or circular (over-weight)? Pet shops and breeders do tend to keep hatchlings on maintenance diets, just enough to keep them going, rather than feeding them what they need to grow....the thinking being that they aren't going to have them long and it cuts back on costs. Am sure you'll see her growing nicely now you've got her.

If I remember correctly she had a pinkie with you for her last feed....but my memory is appalling so I could be wrong . Am guessing you're feeding her every 5 days? IF I'm right, then I'd suggest you up her to double pinkies for a few feeds before you move her on to fuzzies....and only do this if there isn't much of a 'bump' after she's eaten her first pinkie. I know a lot of people don't 'multiple feed', but personally I think it's a good idea with youngsters. There is no rush to up her to fuzzies....get her feeding regularly with you before making any changes.

Hope that helps.

Xxx
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  09:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's a little beauty, and she looks ok to me, though it can be hard to tell from pics alone.

Kellog's already said it all, there's no rush, get her feeding regularly, every 5 days, and she does look like she could manage double pinkies.

Do you know her weight? You can put a tub on kitchen scales, weigh the tub, then put her in, and weigh the tub again. That will give you a rough idea, on what size prey she should have ( there's a good guide in stickies section ). But the best thing to go by is - is the current food leaving a bump, when it's gone down? If not, it's time to go double pinkies, and then fuzzies.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  21:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww she is lovely congrats :) Feeding advice all sorted in previous threads lol.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  09:31:34  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Very pretty.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  17:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, she's lovely

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  18:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she's lovely

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Rebekah.Taylor
Hatchling

United Kingdom
130 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  10:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks perfectly healthy to me :)

Corn mad
Go to Top of Page

Redware
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  23:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. She fed very hungrily today, had a bit of a bump once done want to get her up in weight as 19.1g seems small to me for the 5 mounts the reptile shop said. 2 pinkies from next feed me thinks.

Corns: 1.2.0 Caramel Tessera Het Stripe ph lots (Oak) Caramel (Willow) Caramel Stripe Het Amel (Juniper)
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  07:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At 19.1g, 2 pinkies shouldn't be a problem at all :-)

When I bought Bazilishka, I was told she was around 6 months old ( could have been more, or less ) - she'd been fed on maintenance diet, and was less than 13g. I only managed to weigh her after about 5 -6 weeks with me, so would have been much less than those 13 g when I got her.

Don't worry, Willow will soon pile on weight, with proper feeding. :-)

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Redware
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  17:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How often should I expect to see her poo? I know its not the nicest question, but we got her on the 27th of April and she hasn't gone as yet as far as i can see unless i have missed it in my quick sifting through aspen bedding. The reptile shop owner said she pooed on her when she was sexing her for me, and she did seem to be wipping something off her fingers, so last poo was 27th. She had 6 days settling in, a small pinky on the 3rd and another yesterday.

Thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  08:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She probably had pooped, but it's likely it was so small you'd never find it in the aspen, once dry. All you might find is two pieces of aspen " glued " together. At her size, she probably digested all of the pinkie, with almost nothing left to poop, so she might either do a tiny poop, or save pooping until she's got enough to poop out...
You'd know, if she was constipated - she'd have a bloated look to the rear part of her, or maybe a bulge towards the cloak.
I bet she'll do a big one for you, after the 2 pinkies :-)

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  08:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for double posting - I forgot to say - one of the ways I could tell, that my snakes were ready to move a size up with feeding ( except the obvious with almost no bulge left after feeding ), was that they produced only small poops. As pinkies have no fur, there might be almost nothing to poop out, if she uses up all of the pinkie.
That, and also that they seem to almost "breathe" the pinkies in - it was gone in less than a minute!

I know it's worrying, thinking they didn't go, I did exactly the same with my first one ( Bazil ), and she was on aspen, too. Second time round, I've put Little T on a kitchen towel substrate, so that I could see the poops clearly. Ironically, I didn't need to bother with that, he pooped all the time, and generally glued it to his hides.. yuk. :-)

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  10:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Redware

........19.1g seems small to me for the 5 mounts the reptile shop said........

Don't get too hung up about her weight Ben, otherwise you'll drive yourself mad !! I know you think she's on the slim side and it may be true, but, as Razee has said, little ones are often kept only on a maintenance diet, so not enough food for them to properly grow, just enough to keep them alive. Now she's with you and being fed well I'm sure she'll soon put the weight on . As long as she's eating, drinking, pooing and behaving ok then her weight doesn't matter .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Redware
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  18:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well she has now left us a nice big poo about 3 days after her 3rd feed so now we are just waiting for a shed to check the holy trinity of health! How often at her size do you think I should expect to she her shed? I know its not a precise thing but rough ideas? My wife and I were both commenting on the fact we are convinced she has grow quite a bit in the last few weeks just since we got her. I will have to borrow the 2dp balance from work again to confirm!

Edited by - Redware on 18/05/2013 21:29:49
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  09:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad she's graced you with a poo Ben . As for shedding, because I haven't had little ones I'm not sure how often they shed....but I do know that because corns are corns she is likely to keep you waiting just to wind you up ! All I can say is that she'll shed when she's ready and I wouldn't be surprised if its fairly soon as you've increased her food intake....but I suggest you don't hold your breath!

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  21:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She doesn't look thin in the photos. Corn snakes all grow at different rates so don't worry about her size. Apollo was only 17g when I got him at about 8 months old as he wasn't fed enough at the petshop but he's a happy healthy snake still now.

When they are small corn snakes usually grow fast, they can shed up to every 3 or four weeks but every 6 weeks or so was more common with my little ones. Don't worry about it, it'll happen before you know it Just look for her black belly scales (if they have black checkers?) going grey and her eyes going cloudy, that's the first sign but it can be a week or so after that.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  21:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She looks nice and healthy to me. Little beauty she is

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Redware
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  22:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup she is at that! I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her, my father-in-law was there too we both said what a nice snake she was! She has a great temperament and seems to be chowing down the food, feel very luck to have her.

On a side note she is now just over 18 inches. I have her in a 14” x 8” x 6” Faun at the moment, would people say she needs to be in something bigger or not? It seems a little pokey to me (even though i know they are agoraphobic) by the time there is the hide at either end and a water bowl for her there doesn't seem room for anything else while giving her room to move! The reptile shop owner said she wouldn't put her in anything bigger for he moment.

Thoughts?

Edited by - Redware on 20/05/2013 22:03:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000