New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakkke_123
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  16:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Male corn snake is lying on his heat mat and every time i go to handle him he always vibrates/shakes the end of his tail at me O_o Is he likely to bite me if i touch him or is this just a sign of defense, I fed him 3 days ago and place the mat in there 5 days ago

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/blueboyz1/706ad544-2d51-4073-8c6e-2e194ce90215.jpg?t=1371854411

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  16:13:03  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tail shaking is just a deterrent and their way of saying they feel threatend. Possibly he would bite but don't let it stop you reaching in to handle him.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  16:23:18  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aww he's trying to be a rattle snake
Don't worry about him biting you, he may do he may not do, just move confident and not to fast and you should be fine.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  17:54:16  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Both mine do this when I first touch them in the viv They haven't struck or bitten(well, my girl has recently but she's in shed and my boy has at feeding time) me but they rattle their tails violently until they realize who it is. It's their way of going "What?! Who's there? Who's touching me?! Oh... It's you... OK" lol. As others have said, just move confident but slow and no sudden or jerky movements and he should be OK. I hear a lot of things about how you should pick a corn snake up out of it's viv with a hook... Now if you have a particularly aggressive corn snake(rescue adult or something similar) and it is the best way to remove them for handling/feeding/etc and the least stressful then yes. A well handled corn snake does not need removing with a hook unless obviously it is more comforting for the owner as if the owner is calm, the snake will be calmer. My two are fine with being stroked down the side and having a quick "sniff" before I go to pick them up.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
1.0 Caramel Stripe het Amel - Vladimir.
0.1 Normal het Amel, Caramel, Hypo - Amara.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
1.0 Masque Anery het Amel, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, lavender, Stripe - Orion.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
1.0 Yellow Rat Snake - Leviathan(Levi)
Western Hognoses
1.0 Normal 50% poss het Frosted(Dutch Hypo, Caramel) - Thorne.
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
1.0 Anaconda het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Titan.
0.1 Normal het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Nyx.
R.I.P Pandora & Sakana, entwined in my heart forever my darlings.
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  19:09:23  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I always do a bit of 'housekeeping'before I pick any of mine up,you know spot cleaning/fluffing up the substrate changing water etc. that way you smell nice and familiar and the rummaging about gives them fair warning that you're there
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  10:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you've gathered from everyone else, tail rattling is quite normal for corns. Just put yourself in your snake's scales....having these massive hands coming towards you and you don't know what they're going to do . I think it's amazing the way they can make that noise without even vibrating their tail against anything.

You've been given some good advice. Checkout Handling tips for some more suggestions. It really is a case of being calm and pretending to be confident to begin with. It's all worth it in the end, promise .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000