New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

csmpaul1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  10:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As most of you know by now I'm a novice keeper and I've got my worry hat on again,
When I got my snake last weekend he was due a feed and it was great to see him eating his 2 fluff mice,
The person I bought him from told me he has 2 fluff mice every Friday/Saturday so last night I got him out but he wasn't interested in the mice whatsoever.
I know it's not ideal but I left them in his viv overnight but he still hasn't touched them.
I've checked everything in the viv and all seems well, 28.7 at the warm end 22.0 at the cooler end, He's had fresh water every day, no signs of going into blue.
Should I be concerned? is there anything I should do?

Paul...

1.2.0 Kids Mason, Sophie & Chelsea
0.1.0 Wife Sam
0.1.0 Staff Bonnie
0.1.0 Rabbit Poppy
1.0.0 Hamster Bill
0.1.0 Spurthighed Tortoise Sherbert
1.0.0 normal/carolina corn Jake

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  10:55:45  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nothing you should do cept stop worrying lol its still really the settling in period and he might just not be hungry if he can take 2 fluffs its worth trying him on a hopper next feed

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

csmpaul1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  10:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want to seem dumb but whats a hopper lol?
quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

Nothing you should do cept stop worrying lol its still really the settling in period and he might just not be hungry if he can take 2 fluffs its worth trying him on a hopper next feed

0.1.0 Wife Sam
0.1.0 Staff Bonnie
0.1.0 Rabbit Poppy
1.0.0 Hamster Bill
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  11:00:31  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds like he's probably still settling in.
Don't worry....easier said than done when it's all new I know.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  12:30:22  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by csmpaul1

I don't want to seem dumb but whats a hopper lol?
quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

It's the next size up mouse.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  17:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if wont eat for several weeks, easier said than done, but even then dont worry, many will go several months with out eating and be fine, Kellogs longest was 3 months. As long as drinking and look healthy

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

csmpaul1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  20:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Panic over lol..
I was resigned to the fact He might not eat anything but I thought I'd give it one last try before giving up so I went and got 2 more mice mediums this time from the new reptile shop just around the corner from where I live and was told to try "braining" them if He didn't eat.
He showed some interest like sniffing and licking but still wouldn't eat, I looked up braining on here and He went mad for them though He only ate one but I'm much more relaxed knowing He's eaten.
I bought a new mat stat while I was there because I wasn't 100% sure the one I had was working as it should.
I wonder how long it will be before I get stressed over something else lol

0.1.0 Wife Sam
0.1.0 Staff Bonnie
0.1.0 Rabbit Poppy
1.0.0 Hamster Bill
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  22:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The crunch is just nasty isnt it lol Glad it worked though, i would love a reptile shop so close
The best thing about this forum is that people will always give advice when needed, so before you get stressed out, come here with your query/problem!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes

Edited by - scottishbluebird on 04/05/2013 22:22:12
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  01:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh, if he managed a medium then he was more than ready to go up a size from fluffs. Glad he has eaten for you

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  08:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going from 2 fluffs to 2 mediums would be a huge jump, there are hoppers and smalls between those 2 sizes, so I'm not surprised he only wanted 1! I was going to suggest skipping the hoppers and going straight to smalls if he was already on 2 fluffs. Definitely only offer 1 medium at a time, and if that's still not leaving a bump then move up to large, as 1 large will still not be as much as 2 mediums.

Glad he ate :D

Go to Top of Page

csmpaul1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  10:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Jake seems happy enough today, I went in to change his water and have a scratch round to see if anything needed to be cleaned up and Jake came sniffing and climbed up my arm and wrapped himself up round my elbow, it's now 10:30 so thats 3 hours into today and nothing to panic about woohooo lol

0.1.0 Wife Sam
0.1.0 Staff Bonnie
0.1.0 Rabbit Poppy
1.0.0 Hamster Bill
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  11:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad Jake ate for you Paul . I know what it's like to have your first snake refuse to eat, it took Kellog 13 weeks before he ate with me....you can imagine my shock when he did ! Stupid snake was more interested in females than food , but I didn't know that to begin with and it's how I found the forum.

I definitely agree with Smartbunny about keeping him on 1 medium mouse for now....it is a big leap for him from fluffs, but it sounds like he needed it. Any idea of his weight? It's a good idea to keep a record of that, shedding dates, when he eats and what, etc.

Two points....IF he refuses again, don't try to feed him again until the next time he's due. I know he ate this time but offering food too often could stress him. Also, I know you didn't have much choice as Jake climbed up your arm , but you shouldn't handle him for 48hrs after he's eaten otherwise there is a risk he could regurge.

Don't worry about the panicking, it's totally natural. We've all been there, even the experienced owners, although they would never admit it !

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000