Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2013 :  21:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys :)

I suspect my corn is gravid, she's looking chunkier than normal, is moving a lot less and refused her feed the other day (which is a first for her). She also seems to be moving a lot more gingerly than normal. I've put a moss hide in for her, but I'm not sure if it's big enough. It's an exo-terra large snake cave, about 25 x 20 cm. Luna herself is 3'8", and can normally curl up comfortably in the cave, but like I said, she's not being as bendy as normal right now. Should I consider putting in a bigger box? She hasn't shed yet, but judging by when I've seen them lock, she should be due to lay in the next week or two (if she is indeed gravid XD).

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2013 :  21:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First - I've never bred mine, so not speaking from experience, just from what I read. Someone experienced will be able to advise soon...but this is what I'd do...
I'd probably let her have something slightly bigger - there will have to be room for her, moss, and a clutch of eggs, after all. I have the same exo-terra cave as you, and my Baz is 3,5 foot. It's still a bit big for her, but by the time the moss goes in, it's just right now, without any eggs.

I'd go for a something like tupperware tub, with darker lid - you can see through the sides, so you can check on her without disturbing her, and the darker lid might make her feel safer.

Good luck, hope you get lots of lovely eggs :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2013 :  23:31:58  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Large snake cave is fine. My older female is that size and lays her slugs in the cave fine.

I hope she will be ok as I know you said you weren't planning to breed.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 28/04/2013 23:38:37
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2013 :  02:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately this is what happens when you co-habit, a suspected gravid female and probably eggs that you hadn't planned on. I do hope you have separated her from Diego now....she needs as little stress as possible.

I have never bred and don't plan on doing so, so can't give you any first-hand advice but this may help, How to breed corn snakes . I know the first part isn't applicable because unfortunately the deed is done, but further down it shows you what to look for and what to do.There is also What to do with eggs I'm not prepared for , although I know you said that if this happened you would freeze the eggs and bin them.

I do hope Luna is ok.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000