New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2013 :  15:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two vivarium a are full of hiding places and a hide either end. I was just wondering if anyone does not use hides. As I guess you'd see alot more of your snake that way.

?

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2013 :  16:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think corn snakes need hides to feel secure. If they don't have somewhere to hide then they can become stressed and stop eating etc. However if there are enough places to hide then I suppose you don't need specific 'hides'.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Edited by - Moppet on 28/04/2013 16:31:18
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2013 :  19:14:45  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've got hides for all my snakes.
I agree with moppet that it would stress them too much not to have hides of some sort.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2013 :  19:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My lot, as adults, would need hides I think. It would be fairly hard for them to find enough cover to hide and feel safe unless I filled their vivs totally with plants ! At the moment I've got 2 peering out of their flowerpot hides....and Kellog, trying to escape as is usual as the moment .

In the wild they would find places to 'hide', such as holes in the ground, crevices in rocks, etc....and we are trying, as best we can, to give them the same.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2013 :  19:46:33  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have hidey-holes everywhere!I'm newish to the corn thing-but they seem to follow the same logic as my mouthbrooding cichlid fish;
That is to say,the more hiding places they have-the moreI see of them.
Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2013 :  23:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see quite some people on second hand sites that have vivs without hides. Somehow these snakes tend to be bad feeders that look quite skinny...

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2013 :  19:28:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yup, have 2, 3 if you count the fake plants which they all love to poop on.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2013 :  19:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a variety of hides in my vivs ranging from the made cave hide to rocks and logs and cork bark and not forgetting the ivy that jinx loves to climb and hide in. They also on occasion go under their cage carpet too

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2013 :  21:44:29  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't use any hides, there is enough fake plants to cover the floor area so the snakes can stay out of sight wherever they like and at the temperature that suits them best. I also use big plastic dog bowls for water that they can get under.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

CharlyCroker
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  22:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally don't use hides, but as for Danno, he has three nice little hidey holes. His favourite, the good old half coconut shell, then a flat log which he burrows into the aspen bedding under and a rock he also burrows under. He also has a toilet in the corner which he always dumps in which is handy, cos I don't have to hunt for it lol. All three hides are dotted from hot to medium to cold and he uses all three at any given time. As I said, his fav is the coconut which is in the warmest part of the viv. He's still my awesomeest pet.

1.0.0 Snow Corn snake, Danno
1.1.0 Cats, Meeka & Murphy
1.0.0 Horsefield Tortoise, Albert
0.0.1 Giant African Snail, Crunchie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000