New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jenjen23
Hatchling

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2013 :  21:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I moved him in today, he has been having a good look around, now settled in his favourite hide.

I'm a bit worried about the temps, hot end is 28C, cold is 24C though, which seems a little warm? I'm not sure what I can do about that though? The warm end probe is attached to the thermostat probe by and elastic band, and they are both positioned under the ceramic bulb, on the floor above the substrate. The cold end thermometer probe is under the big straw box hide at the cool end.

Also, paranoid about him escaping, hence the massive bit of card!

0.0.1 Normal Cornsnake, 2 years old - Basil
0.1.0 Crawl Cay Boa, 1.5 years - Luna

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2013 :  22:20:34  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lucky reptile-looks like a fab.hab.Have you been down Dunelm Mill for the great priced fake plants? I went a bit O.T.T. when I found them
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2013 :  09:18:19  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snake paradise!! Lots of places to lurk in, explore and hide in.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

jenjen23
Hatchling

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2013 :  10:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you

quote:
Originally posted by mjpeters

Lucky reptile-looks like a fab.hab.Have you been down Dunelm Mill for the great priced fake plants? I went a bit O.T.T. when I found them

Of course! So much cheaper and they had a really nice selection, basically all of them are form there.

Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2013 :  11:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the amount of hides / climbing options :D Really nice looking viv!

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2013 :  12:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a wonderful viv you've given Basil ....lots of places to hide and explore.

24oC is just about ok for the cool end, you wouldn't want it getting any higher. To be honest I don't even measure the temp in the cool ends of my vivs . One comment, if you have the probe for that end under the hide, the reading might be effected when Basil is in their because he'll be lying on the probe....if that makes sense! Might be worth moving.

I'm glad you're so aware of the escaping capabilities of these corns . You might think cardboard is enough but checkout this Escape artist ! No cardboard and he escaped....cardboard added and he still escaped ! A lot of us use plastic paper binders, which closes the gap nicely.

It really is a lovely looking viv, so wild and natural .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

jenjen23
Hatchling

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2013 :  14:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

He hasn't been using that hide, but I will try moving the probe around and see if I get different readings. At the mo he has been using the coconut hide which I moved over from his faun, think it is his favourite!

Oh god don't show me pics like that, I'm paranoid already! I hope he is still inside when I get home tonight! I've got a thick bit of card, 2 rubber wedges AND a paper binder! I'm thinking of getting a lock, and I might see if I can fit a binder to the inside pane. He did look like he was testing it last night though, and didn't seem to be able to get through at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

That's a wonderful viv you've given Basil ....lots of places to hide and explore.

24oC is just about ok for the cool end, you wouldn't want it getting any higher. To be honest I don't even measure the temp in the cool ends of my vivs . One comment, if you have the probe for that end under the hide, the reading might be effected when Basil is in their because he'll be lying on the probe....if that makes sense! Might be worth moving.

I'm glad you're so aware of the escaping capabilities of these corns . You might think cardboard is enough but checkout this Escape artist ! No cardboard and he escaped....cardboard added and he still escaped ! A lot of us use plastic paper binders, which closes the gap nicely.

It really is a lovely looking viv, so wild and natural .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2013 :  14:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fab looking viv

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2013 :  16:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks great

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2013 :  19:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jenjen23

........Oh god don't show me pics like that, I'm paranoid already! I hope he is still inside when I get home tonight! I've got a thick bit of card, 2 rubber wedges AND a paper binder! I'm thinking of getting a lock, and I might see if I can fit a binder to the inside pane. He did look like he was testing it last night though, and didn't seem to be able to get through at all.

Oh dear, I didn't mean to panic you! Sounds like you've taken enough precautions.....some would say overkill but I don't think that's possible with corns . I have the plastic paper binder on the inside edge of the glass, it means it is a softer surface for them to rub their noses against than the glass. I have locks and wedges as well. I always thought locks were for keeping people from opening the vivs, but they are actually to stop the SNAKES opening the vivs ! Not that you'll have that problem quite yet .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

LukeW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2013 :  19:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont worry about cool end temp to much just make sure theres a thick layer of aspen or bedding then if its still too hot he will burrow :)

Female normal - Cyrus (can't think of a girl name :p)

Male charcoal - Midnight

Female amel - Lilly

Female CB13 anery 100% het sunkissed - Ariel.

Male CB13 fire 100% het stripe, 50% het hypo, anery and lavender

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2013 :  19:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only down side with locks is when some one doesn't put the lock on all the way and it looks locked but snakie can still get the door open! Had a student do it at work I spent 6 days looking every where for the little bugger, bottle traps set, flour lines down, he turned up in the door frame, it goes without saying we are now all very paranoid about viv locks :-) if it makes you feel better i have a bit of cage carpet wedged between Jinx's glass along with his wedge as am very paranoid about him getting through the gap.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2013 :  22:52:53  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looks good! 24 is fine, some of mine are reaching that can't really bel helped as it gets warmer.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2013 :  11:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing looking viv! Basil is a lucky snake

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly