Body shape

Sorry for all the pictures
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2013 :  19:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He looks in lovely condition, if you mean those little black dots on the white scales near belly, that's normal, Bazilishka's got those...

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2013 :  19:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't apologise for all the pics .....they're great! It's so good to see him and see what a gorgeous snake he is....and also how handlable he is . Don't worry about the black dots, they are just part of the markings around the 'saddles'. If you have little black dots that move, then you worry !

I'm terrible with morphs but it looks as though he could be a caramel http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/caramel/?sid=58221ab5c3f806735c61cb241c69ba19 .....top of my wish list!

He's looking really healthy and is a good size for his length, as much as you can judge because all corns differ so much. Am guessing he's being fed a large mouse weekly/every day days?

Think you really hit the jackpot with him !

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2013 :  20:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks . He's extremely good to handle and didn't want to stay back home! He's been fed 2x small mice every Wednesday. What do you recommend we change him to now? He looks a little like the caramel although we thought he was a normal?
Im very happy with him though. Considering we only got him Saturday and his bulb was far too hot he seems extremely friendly!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2013 :  20:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Told you I was bad at morphs ! He is probably a normal, just a lovely caramelly version of one http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/normal/

I would certainly want to move him up, but slowly. Depending on how many small mice you have, you could finish them up and then move him onto mediums for a short while, see how he copes with them and, dependant on that, finally move him up to large. As I've said, all snakes differ so it may be he's not ready for large straight away. Best indicator is whether there is a 'bump' after he's eaten. When that's not very obvious you know it's time to move him up a size.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2013 :  07:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He looks great! Looks like a normal to me :) Also, I could be wrong, but I think he looks like he's getting ready to shed?

Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2013 :  08:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes kellog . We fed him his usual food last night . He ate the first mouse no problem the we waited a bit for the second but we couldn't really tell where the first one was :-/
As for shedding smart bunny i am not sure. I did say to the husband that nipper looks almost dirty in places and a bit dull compared to other snakes i have seen. He thought it could just be age? And was more interested in the kidney shapes on his head Haha!
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2013 :  08:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder, if you're right, smart bunny. My Bazil turns to a caramel look alike, before she goes darker, could well be the shed is on the way...

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2013 :  08:56:09  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's a very yummy normal :D :D

What does his belly look like? are the chequers kind of faded?

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2013 :  16:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently he shed not long before being rehomed :-/ his belly isn't faded x
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2013 :  19:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's lovely he reminds me a lot of 8's mum color wise :-)

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2013 :  21:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad that he ate well for you Sophie . Once he'd eaten both mice could you see any 'bump'?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2013 :  14:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No we didn't see a noticeable bump but as soon as he could he hid haha!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2013 :  05:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It certainly sounds as though you could move him up, once you've used up all your small mice. There isn't usually 'medium' mice, so you would be putting him on to large mice. You could start out by picking out the smaller ones to begin with if you can or getting the shop to weigh them.....but I would think he'll eat them without a problem .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2013 :  07:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

It certainly sounds as though you could move him up, once you've used up all your small mice. There isn't usually 'medium' mice, so you would be putting him on to large mice. You could start out by picking out the smaller ones to begin with if you can or getting the shop to weigh them.....but I would think he'll eat them without a problem .

Xxx

Really? I thought mediums were the norm, a lot of people stick with mediums as a final food I thought (not us, Corno is on large lol).

Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  17:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the lack of replies. We have been letting him settle.but have found he just hides under his heat mat. Im thinking about sticking it to the wall instead odds the floor. He also became very picky and didnt seem to interested in his food.x
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  11:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't put it on the side as he won't be able to get any heat from it then - he needs to be able to lie on top of it (or under it lol!). Have you tried putting a heavy hide over the mat so he cannot get under it? That's all I do, I don't bother to fasten mine down as I think it would make it harder to clean out the viv. If you wanted to stick it down though people use hot glue guns as it's safe to put the snake straight back in the viv once it has dried and cooled unlike sealant which gives off fumes for 48 hrs.

Various things could be affecting his feeding - breeding season, getting ready to shed etc. so try not to worry just yet :)

Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  13:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. He had his heavy hide on the top of it but he squashed himself under it all and it disrupted all the chips too. Shall i move all the chips off it, glue it to the floor and only have the hide on the top with no chips covering the heatmat?
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  13:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

........ There isn't usually 'medium' mice........

Really? I thought mediums were the norm, a lot of people stick with mediums as a final food I thought (not us, Corno is on large lol).

Sorry Smartbunny, total brain fog moment....made worse by the fact I've got medium mice in my freezer ! It was because I'd recently been looking at the Feeding Guide and it groups small and mediums together.

I totally agree about not putting the heatmat on the wall of the viv, it will be virtually useless there. You can stick it down, this will tell you how - Setting up an adult corn snake - My 101 If you do stick it down you can still have a sprinkling of chips on top of it, just make sure that the probes for the thermostat and thermometer are directly on the mat so if he moves the chips then the temp is right.

Is he spending all his time under the mat or does he sometimes use the cool end hide? What is the temp in the warm end? There isn't actually anything wrong with him hiding under there, as long as the mat is statted and doesn't get too hot....but obviously it's not ideal.

You say he's become very picky and not interested in food....is he still eating? Has his general behaviour in the viv changed? As Smartbunny has said, various things can effect his feeding and they can to a LONG time without eat, so try not to worry.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  08:35:19  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He sounds healthly :) I wouldn't stress about the light, so long as you have a mat and stat they are not needed :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000