New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cornelious
Egg

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  10:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've recently put glass shelves in my snakes vivarium (you can see in other topic- glass Viv) I wanted to put some grass mat on them to make it better for him to climb on. Was just wondering of anyone knew where is best to get some and also how to secure it down

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  10:50:48  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe ask for a trial sample from internet suppliers? It's worth a try.
I managed to get some free slates for my torties to feed off.
Not sure about fixing though.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  13:30:25  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hot glue gun maybe?

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  14:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want them removable ( for washing, for example ), I wonder if a strong velcro would work ( one side of velcro glued to the shelf, one to the underneath of the grass mat. )

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  15:24:08  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you get them off of internet companies as samples. COme in wee squares. I got a load for Boomer (beardie) but they reeeeally smell (she took to only pooing in them) and they didnt hole up too well to cleaning. Plus cleaning beardie poop out of them etc you get bits of crickets etc through it all and the flick every where when you are cleaning between it all *bolk*

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

cornelious
Egg

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  17:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone ill give that a go :)

Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  23:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was my first Viv, the grass didn't last long. Velcro was used with hot glue.

This is my new vivarium I self built as a DIY project

Velcro works a treat have used this method on my vivarium in the past. Although I recommend against grass, as this becomes a nightmare washing. I think that substrates like chips always work out better in the long run. But best of luck.

Edited by - Welshlamb on 12/04/2013 00:22:00
Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  10:43:18  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use greengrocers artificial grass in some of my gecko vivs, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380205588844?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649, of course its not as good a quality as astro turf, but its cheap enough to replace when it gets to beaten up, cleaning is as simple as put it under hot tap, shake, disinfect, let drip dry. Ive had it since mid last year and not replaced any of it and there is still plenty left to do so when necessary. It does need to be removable, so either Velcro or heavy objects.

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

cornelious
Egg

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  11:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good welsh lamb, and ill may give that a go calazagy :)

Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  13:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That mat will work much better than the one I used. I used a shaggy rug that looked like grass (didnt hold up in the washing machine). This looks like a good idea. Green Grocer grass would be much more durable and hard wearing. I'd suggest buying two though so you can rotate them, makes life easier when they are due for a clean

Edited by - Welshlamb on 12/04/2013 13:02:18
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  14:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Welshlamb, love the DIY viv! Although... I can't help but feel all that other spaces which could so easily have been used for other vivs has been wasted on photos... :P

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  14:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Wow Welshlamb, love the DIY viv! Although... I can't help but feel all that other spaces which could so easily have been used for other vivs has been wasted on photos... :P

lmao! admittedly im looking into a new sofa (smaller) so Miss Manson can have a nice big viv when shes older. As far as the non rep-loving hubby is concerned... its cos is old and needing replaced

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

cornelious
Egg

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  09:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grass samples have arrived ! Looks amazing, now to get a glue gun and some Velcro, thanks for the tips guys, pics will be up soon :)

Go to Top of Page

Spacetastic
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  20:57:32  Show Profile  Send Spacetastic an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Love that built in viv, what a great idea
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  21:33:43  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I personally never thought of using fake grass., id of thought it too harsh for the belly of the snake? Just my thoughts though.
Hope it works out well for you :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2013 :  09:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any updates on the grass project. Would be interested to see
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic