Breeding Behaviour
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jovamabob
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2013 :  00:48:07  Show Profile  Visit jovamabob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So im intending to breed in a couple of years, and i want to learn everything i can before then. What behaviour do you normally see when breeding season begins? Do they do any courtship behaviours at all?

This is the first year i have both male and female corn's in the same house and im really interested in their differing behaviours. My Normal male, Sebby is going crazy! He's patrolling his vivarium glass, trying to squeeze out between the sliding glass doors and generally wreaking havoc. Normally he's so shy! He's growing like a weed and my partner keeps saying Sebby has 'grown into his face'

My Amel male, Pen, is not so fussed and is mostly hidden away as usual. He's a laid back dude anyway and isn't fussed at all about much as long as the food keeps coming!

My Snow Girl, Dennie, is only a yearling so seems too young for any unusual behaviours. She's a little beauty though, and im hoping to breed her with Pen in the future - purely as a one off learning experience. It'd be fantastic to see the whole process in person!

It would be interesting to see if Seb has any hets, but he is apet-shop baby that is supplied by a massive scale breeding farm and was a terribly slow starter so i feel he isn't breeding material! :)

jovita

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  10:28:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't breed as a one off learning experience, as it could end up with a twice and triple experience, to be honest I would advise against breeding for experience all together but I know how exciting it can be. But normal breeding behaviour is like Seb but it varies snake to snake. I'm not 100% sure on typical female breeding behaviour but my girl goes crazy for a few days trashing everything and then goes back to being shy and hiding away.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  21:52:19  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i say go for it. Its absolutely fabulous seeing your very first clutch pipping their noses out of the eggs. The biggest downside however is selling the hatchlings on afterwards. The bottom seems to have fallen out of the corn market so be prepared to let base and common combinations go for peanuts.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000